1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma or lcd

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by simonj, Nov 18, 2003.

1. simonj

simonj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to buy a plasma or lcd screen with tuner,can fit up to 42" in but a bit tight,is 42"better than 37 or 32.Are plasma screens better than lcd,does picture quality deteriorate with size close up as pixels are stretched further apart ? whilst i appreciate you cannot get bigger size lcds.I a looking to spend up to about £2600,what are best models and best places to get a bargain high street ,mail order or internet ?

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Simonj,

Search around and you'll find many threads on Plasma vs. LCD; in short there is no clear winner. In general: Plasmas have better contrast/black levels, better viewing angle, and respond faster (so no "trails" when fast movement, e.g. watching sport. ) LCDs are lighter, use less power, have a longer life, less issues on "burn in", sometimes have greater resolution. Today, if you are looking at 42" it is Plasma only; at 30/32 you have both; at 37 a few plasmas and also at least one LCD (from Sharp, very expensive though).

Either won't look as good if you are too close. How far away from the screen do you plan to sit?

Mark

3. mid_gen

mid_gen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I agree with the points about trails and contrast being lacking on LCD, but I've got a 30" Sharp Aquos LCD and there is no 'viewing angle'. It's perfectly visible all 180 degrees horizontally. Vertically there's plenty of leeway, it won't be an issue unless you mount it in a ridiculous place.

In retrospect I might have gone for a plasma as I've been keenly watching all the RWC games, and the smear is annoying, albeit mainly with dark colours (damn those kiwis ;)) Pop it in interlaced mode and tweak the settings a little and you can get it to an acceptable level for most sports. Picture in DVDs through component is superb though. I'm at uni and have to move it around a lot, so my main incentive for the LCD was the weight and size, I also use sky digi and my consoles a lot so burn-in was an issue.

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I looked at the new 30" Sony (not the Sharp), and on the Sony while the picture was viewable from all (horizontal) angles, if you looked closely the contrast changed at the high angles. Maybe the Sharp has solved this?

Mark