Plasma or LCD - which is 'hardest'?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Simon6776, Apr 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Guys,

Wasn't sure where to put this, but anyway, here goes. :)

I would like to buy either a Plasma or an LCD TV. PQ is imperative, particularly black levels. I can't stand a picture with 'grey' or 'blue' blacks, but I also want to be able to see it in daylight. My main problem, however, is the sturdiness of these sets. I have a youngster with special needs, who tends to chuck things around quite a bit. He likes to stand an inch away from the screen, and often bashes it with his hand, or drinks cup! I am forever wiping sticky fingermarks off the screen, but this is the way it is, and it's not likely to change. I currently have a Sony 32" CRT, which is built like a tank, and stands up well to abuse. I'm not sure an LCD or Plasma would be quite so forgiving, so I need advice as to which to go for, if any. Wall mounting is not an option, due to the layout of the room (the TV is corner placed), and it will also need a highish stand, with lots of room underneath, for at least 6 other AV components. Screen size needs to be at least 32", and I don't really want to spend more than a grand. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. PlasmaQuest07

PlasmaQuest07

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'd say Plasma, as I think it ticks all your boxes.

3. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    the last thing an lcd needs is any impact to the screen

4. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've just had a quick look at the PIONEER PDP-4270XD, and the specs say it doesn't play NTSC. I find this hard to believe, is this correct? It will be no good my buying a TV that won't play R1 DVDs!

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    Nonsense, of cause it plays ntsc.

6. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes, I've checked some other sources now, and of course, if does. Comet need to get their act together! :D

I'm drawn towards the Pioneer PDP-427XD, as it has the extra HDMI input (not that I would need either at the moment), but I wish it came in a 37", as the 42" is just a tad large for the space available to accommodate it, and also for the size of the room. I was looking at a couple of the Panasonics, particularly the TH-37PX70PED, but it doesn't appear to have any SCART inputs (and that's according to the Panny website). :confused:

7. yetanotherbob

yetanotherbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I think that all the PX70 models have 2 RGB SCART inputs

Bob

8. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Oh, that's a relief! Thanks Bob. I think I'll have a look in Comet / Currys tomorrow.

9. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Without sounding judgemental, why do you excuse your child's behaviour with the TV as acceptable.
    Just because he has special needs (and you've my sincerest sympathy because of that), you don't have to idly sit by and watch him blatter the hell out of it.
    I certainly wouldn't, but then I don't have the patience of a saint.
    Could you not wall mount this high enough so that he isn't directly able to stand so close and do as he does with the CRT one? Surely the room layout is adaptable to put it on one of the walls.

A Plasma screen would be more durable than an LCD, even a glass fronted one such as Loewe's Spheros/Individual, but the glass is nothing like as thick and impact resistant as that of a CRT's.

So, my advice would be to rethink the point of going flat screen at this time, if not for HD, and stick with the CRT which is working just fine.
    Alternatively, a bit of behavioural modification and mounting the Plasma as much as possible, out of harm/temptation's way would see it last long enough to justify the expense.
    Sorry if this sounds raw and I'm not sugar-coating it, but you need to be realistic given the circumstances. It's all very easy to get caught up in the moment and carried away.

10. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Who says I sit idly by and watch him batter the hell out of the TV? With the utmost respect, you don't know the circumstances, and you couldn't possibly have the first idea of what my child is / isn't capable of, so I would suggest, if you truly don't wish to sound judgemental, that you just accept the facts as I have presented them. Believe me, even if I could mount it on the wall, this would present as a target, rather than having any preventative value.

I do take your point that maybe this isn't quite the right time to be thinking about a flat-screen, but call it a mid-life crisis if you like. I could be dead next week, and I just fancy a treat. If I leave it a year, or two, or three, my child will still be the same, only bigger. That's why it's called 'Severe Learning Disability'. ;)

11. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Obviously not all kids with SLD are the same. I'm not talking about the type of kids you see on Supernanny, or those who are labelled with a 'disability' such as ADHD (which, in my opinion, in many cases, is simply an excuse for bad parenting). Mine is Autistic, with SLD. He is now in his mid-teens, but functions at about the level of an 18 month old. It's not as simple as saying NO, and if he's physically moved away, which he is, probably 100 times a day, within minutes, he's back in front of the TV again. "Turn off the TV!", I hear you say. Well, yes, that's an option, then he will turn his attention to something more destructive, or perhaps, given the chance, smear sh*t up the walls. Starting to get the picture? This is not a 'normal' situation. Rules don't apply. Let's just leave it there, shall we?

As for the Plasma, your opinion is a valid and sensible one, and it would probably be a fool-hardy purchase, given the potential additional stress levels of trying to keep nipper away from it. This is why I was asking how robust they are, and I am coming to the conclusion that this particular avenue of pleasure, is going to be swiftly closed off.

12. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Nipper? mid-teens? And there's me thinking he was 3-5, maybe 6 years old.
    Now you've enlightened me on some of the antics - you have my deepest sympathy you've been unfortunately lumbered with such an onerous parental job.

Definitely think it's best to let him work away on the TV as it's surviving just fine. I also suspect the glass is softer than that of CRTs, so even if it didn't crack, it'd scratch more easily.
    And I'm sure the £1K set aside will be found useful for other things more necessary/beneficial.

13. redknag

redknag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    A thoughtfully mounted projector would make a small target. Easy to repaint the screen "wall" when it gets damaged too.

14. Fast Jon

Fast Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    CRT is much more able to withstand knocks than either LCD or plasma. A head biff from a youngster can easily crack the glass on either. In your position I would stick with CRT.

15. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I could get touchy about the use of the words 'lumbered' and 'onerous', but I don't believe you are actually setting out to cause offence. That said, this is my child we are talking about, and I have to point out that he is as loved and cherished as any other child would be, and that his needs come miles above my whimsical desire for a new toy. I really didn't want to have to 'enlighten' you as to the situation, which I considered had been explained clearly enough in my first post, but many thanks for your advice. In return, if I may offer you some, can I suggest that when in a hole, stop digging. ;)

I had a look at a Panny PX70 in Comet this morning, and was sorely tempted, especially when I came home and found it on the internet at this price, including VAT, delivery and pedestal stand. However, I am tending to agree with the advice given, at least for now. Given the home situation, it does seem a little impulsive going out and buying a new TV that isn't really required, especially when I wouldn't be using it to it's fullest potential, while limited to SD. This would inevitably have led to more expense, as I wouldn't have been able to resist buying an HD DVD player, leading to HD DVDs, so I think it's probably wiser to allocate the funds elsewhere, at this stage.

16. Cold blooded

Cold blooded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Simon I have P.M d you

17. gaz2810i

gaz2810i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +437
    i think this needs to be brought to a close as too many posters seem to be making irresponsible and rather (although maybe not meant) obnoxious remarks. Simon, you have a live other than your childs and deserve a treat as much as the rest of us and should go ahead with the purchase and probably plasma would be best although a projecter would probably be the best option if you could stretch that way. I am rather tired of people making comments which are personal with the believe that their experiances are better than everybody elses. Just answer the question at hand.

18. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I am fully in agreement with having this thread closed. I don't think anything else worthwhile can be added. I have my answer - Plasma is tougher than an LCD, but not as tough as a CRT. That's all I wanted to know.

19. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Agreed.

Simon, just a thought in case you weren't aware - you can get pretty adaptable corner wallmounts which allow you to angle the screen. And I've got my screen above (and to the side of actually) a pretty tall AV unit and from a distance of about 10-12 feet it's perfect watchable. 1.1m from bottom of the screen to the floor... closer than about 8feet and I think the angle from the sofa would be a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.