1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma or LCD panel

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Prospector, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Prospector

Prospector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which type of panel is best?

Have been told that LCD panels lose brightness, is this correct?

How far do you recommend sitting from the different sizes of screen?

Do you think it worth paying the premium for high definition ready panel or should I buy one of the best of the current standard?

My old CRT is on its last legs so will need to buy in the next few months any help would be appreciated, thank you.

:confused:

2. Orangelo

Orangelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes they do, but their lifespan is still greater than that of Plasmas. It's actually down to personal preferences, really, people will tell you this and that, there are too many arguments in favour of one or another technology. Reaction times in LCD panels is not so great so you better buy a good one (20ms or lower) if you want to avoid motion issues. And contrast is also quite poor, basically because polarisers fail to block the light emission. Some dark films are virtually unwatchable in an LCD. But in exchange they are brighter than plasmas, generally look sharper and are not subjet to PWM issues.

I like neither technology, but I will be buying a plasma soon just for sheer size and low cost. I would not like to influcence your decision.

3. Prospector

Prospector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panels look so sleek and take up so much less space but the picture quality is a big concern...

I have recently nearly bought a Toshiba 32ZP48 for around £700 including delivery, a good price compared against the price it was a few months ago. This CRT seems to receive great reviews except for the alignment of the picture (not level).

decisions... decisions.... :rolleyes:

4. Orangelo

Orangelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CRTs look great. If you switch to an LCD or a Plasma you will only gain in screen size, perfect geometry, digital connectivity, resolution (in HD ready sets) and no flicker irrespective of the refresh rate. In every other respect, CRTs are better performers.