1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Or Lcd? How Did You Decide?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by asimmd, Mar 19, 2005.

1. asimmd

asimmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi All
    I am looking to upgrade my 8Year old 32in CRT Panny.
    The problem is how to decide between Plasma/LCD?
    If the threads I have been reading for most of today are correct,Plasma has limited life due mainly to Screenburn,and LCD suffers from Dead Pixels.

Presumably, most of you were confronted with this dilemma at some point ,so some advice/words of wisdom would be appreciated.
    I am pretty certain Panasonic would get my money again,but for which one?
    Many Thanks
    Regards
    Alan

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    the latest pansonics are almost impossible to burn (they claim same as CRT), but dead pixels is a plasma issue too if you are unlucky...but I don't recall any panny users complaining about that here (though may be wrong). Plasmas have a much wider viewer angle...something like 160 degree....and also a 42" plasma is a lot cheaper than a big lcd!

3. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    what size screen are you after? are you bothered about HiDef? What is your budget?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    LCD and plasma both sufffer dead stuck pixels as they are fixed piwel devices, both will out last CRT. Plasma offer 42" flat picture for £1500 and i think Plasma is more "cinematic" than LCD also with a plasma panel you can build a dedicated system (LCD panel only are very rare) around it without duplication.....but it depends what you want

5. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went for plasma. Key issues were:

- no matter what the technical spec for viewing angles, LCD loses density when you're not far off axis horizontally, and would be unwatchable at angles where picture from plasma (viera in my case) still looks brilliant. Viewing with friends etc someone is bound to have a seat way off-axis though if just one or two ever v iewing admit it's not an issue.

- room was big enough that I needed 42 inch. LCDs this size very expensive, and limited choice.

- very worried by reports of ghosting/smearing with motion on LCD

- largely through research on this forum I was quickly reassured that screen burn and screen life wasa non-issue with decent current plasmas, and/or could be avoided with elementary precautions.

I'm very happy with my choice.

6. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    my decision was made by my eyes, plasma just looks MUCH AND MUCH more better than LCD. It'c cheaper too, which is a nice pro. But LCD just seems too ' bright ' for me and when you get close to a LCD screen the picture becomes very pixelated where a good plasma with the right connections still looks good from close.

7. asimmd

asimmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi All
    Thanks for the replies.
    The screen size will be 42" I suppose Hi-Def needs to be considered,as this will be replacing the main household T.V Budget is what ever it takes,within reason for a Panasonic.

Regards
    Alan

8. rickyroma

rickyroma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    asimmd , was in the same position as you , was going to go for lcd until I got some facts . the screen burn one totally swung it for me , when i found out it pretty much wasnt an issue any more I said stuff it , plus when you can get a 42 inch plasma for the price of a 32 inch lcd its almost impossible to get the lcd.

As for HD I wasnt too bothered about it , didnt know much about it , but have been slowly reading up on it lately , and it seems Sky HD will have component outputs which is great news for me ! I use an xbox through component and some of the emulators let you choose 1080i & 720p and look stunning in both (only the menues mind you) but if Sky HD allows for 1080i or 720p id be very happy !