Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Plasma or Lcd for high def gaming?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by bladeaku, Oct 25, 2005.

1. bladeaku

bladeaku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone I was looking at the panny 50pv500, I have found a very good deal on the web, still the sharp increase on price from the 42 puts me of a bit.
    The 50 runs at native 720p though(unlike the 42pv500) also would anyone rate lcd or plasma for better picture quality?.
    thanks in advance :hiya:

2. NikB

NikB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Personally I'd still prefer plasma over lcd for gaming. LCD's have come on recently but I still think they produce a smeary picture.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The 50 is not native at 720p, no plasma is. Some smaller LCDs are, 99% are 1366/768 like the 50 Panasonic. For gaming, most would still recommend plasma, though response times are going down on LCD there is maybe a certain amount of optimism in the figures quoted. Maybe some quote the time taken to change 1 bit on the greyscale, rather than red to blue or whatever.

4. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Most of the response times are a little bit sketchy, you'll find on all the high end PC gaming LCD's that they'lll say something like 3-4ms, but when you look into it thats the average speed on grey-to-grey, on black to white (which some manufacturers are nice neough to mention albeit in small writing deep within the manual) you'll find its much more along the lines of about 6-8ms b-to-w, its a sneaky was of doing things because technically they're not wrong. So you have to be careful when taking note of resposne times. Personally i'd much prefer a plasma over an LCD for the reasons that plasma IS brighter, no doubt about it, they have more life like light output rather than a pale blue fluorescent backlight.

LCD's are a little behind plasma' in image quality terms but spank the pants off of a plasma in power consumption :thumbsup:

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The mind boggles!

6. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Does anyone actually but a piece of equipment because it uses less power? Really?

7. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Greenpeace?