Plasma or Lcd for high def gaming?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by bladeaku, Oct 25, 2005.

1. bladeaku

bladeaku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone I was looking at the panny 50pv500, I have found a very good deal on the web, still the sharp increase on price from the 42 puts me of a bit.
    The 50 runs at native 720p though(unlike the 42pv500) also would anyone rate lcd or plasma for better picture quality?.
    thanks in advance :hiya:

2. NikB

NikB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Personally I'd still prefer plasma over lcd for gaming. LCD's have come on recently but I still think they produce a smeary picture.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The 50 is not native at 720p, no plasma is. Some smaller LCDs are, 99% are 1366/768 like the 50 Panasonic. For gaming, most would still recommend plasma, though response times are going down on LCD there is maybe a certain amount of optimism in the figures quoted. Maybe some quote the time taken to change 1 bit on the greyscale, rather than red to blue or whatever.

4. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Most of the response times are a little bit sketchy, you'll find on all the high end PC gaming LCD's that they'lll say something like 3-4ms, but when you look into it thats the average speed on grey-to-grey, on black to white (which some manufacturers are nice neough to mention albeit in small writing deep within the manual) you'll find its much more along the lines of about 6-8ms b-to-w, its a sneaky was of doing things because technically they're not wrong. So you have to be careful when taking note of resposne times. Personally i'd much prefer a plasma over an LCD for the reasons that plasma IS brighter, no doubt about it, they have more life like light output rather than a pale blue fluorescent backlight.

LCD's are a little behind plasma' in image quality terms but spank the pants off of a plasma in power consumption :thumbsup:

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The mind boggles!

6. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Does anyone actually but a piece of equipment because it uses less power? Really?

7. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Greenpeace?