1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma or LCD 40" TV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by darkovo666, Nov 28, 2003.

1. darkovo666

darkovo666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to purchase a new TV for about £3000 UK Sterling, can anyone give me a good recommendation.

Are there still problems with Plasma screen life/parts and although the LCD is still pretty new in comparison (and expensive), am I better going for an as near to 40" LCD screen rather than Plasma - is the LCD a better technology?

Oh yea, I would like to be able to attach all my bit's to the screen, ie Console, DVD, Video etc and still get good quality results, no blurring/ghosting.

Cheers

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    There are lots of threads about pros/cons of LCD vs. Plasma... but there aren't any 40" LCDs that I know of available in the UK currently, the largest is a 37" Sharp which is considerably more than £3000.

£3000 will get you a Panasonic PW6 (which I have and can recommend); there is also a Hitachi which is highly rated in that price range.

Mark

3. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Samsung do a 40 inch LCD but it's not very good and suffers from temporary screen burn-in which LCDs aren't suppose to.

Much better to spend the cash on a 42 inch plasma.

4. fastferret

fastferret

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been hoping to get a panny or pio 50" plasma for christmas for some time now, just waiting for the new models to become available in China were I'm working.

Out looking at screens again today and I see the Sharp 37" LCD has just had a 20% price cut. Down from over $US6000 to under $US5000. Still expensive for the size but suddenly worthy of a bit more attention.

Most people on this forum seem to back plasma, but each new model LCD I see just looks better and better. Today I saw a 40" Chinese brand (TLC - probably Samsung glass) next to some ordinary TLC plasmas - it totally blew them away!

The way price is coming down and size and PQ are going up, LCD might overtake plasma sooner than I expected! Hope those 50" plasmas look awesome when I see them to help me make up my mind!