Plasma or DVD scaler?

gmt steve

I used to be well up on my home cinema stuff, but due to lack of funds and the inability to upgrade I kinda lost my way. So bear in mind I DO have a reasonable understanding of the basics and terminology etc.

I have had a Pioneer DV-868 for several years now, but was only using component and 525p (480p) output because my plasma was the Panaconic PW5 with no digital inputs. I have just upgraded to a Panasonic 46S10 and would like to know peoples opinions as to whether to use the scaling in the DVD player via HDMi or the scaling in the plasma. I've tried using DVE to see the difference between 525p/720p/1080i but they all still have artefacts on the moving Snell & Wilcox image, so I'm a bit confused. I know the less conversions the better, so I'm thinking that outputting whatever is DVD's native resolution via HDMi and then having the Plasma scale to it's native resolution would be best. Can I get some opinions please?

mackie1

I know it depends on the capabilities of each component but I have a TH-42PZ80 plasma and Oppo DVD player and I let the Oppo output at 1080p. It has better processing that the TV so this is the best option for me. I did try both and decided it looked better with the DVD player doing the work.

I don't know about the currently Pannys but my model does not correctly handle film mode interlaced video. If your DVD player is doing the de-interlacing but outputting at standard definition (576p) then it's down to what you subjectively think does the best job of scaling.

Last edited:

gmt steve

To be honest, my reasoning is that the DV-868 is several years old and the plasma is current, so surely the doubler and scaler in the plasma is better than in the DVD player. I know quality of other internal components etc is important, but advances in scaling chips must have moved on way past the DV-868 which was one of the very first upscaling DVD players. I mean you can get upscaling DVD players now for less than £100 and the DV-868 was £1000 back in the day.

I was thinking that outputting the most direct signal possible from the DVD disc to the plasma, so that the only conversion is by the plasma to it's native rate would give the best results. What is the native resolution of DVD discs? Is it 576i or 576p?

gmt steve

Isn't the S10 1080p? Don't you want to send that?

Sorry you replied while I was writing the answer above. Yes the plasma is 1080p, but the Dv-868 will only go up to 1080i.

A_Venables

Im using a DV-868 in my setup, I sometimes have problems with the hdmi signal dropping out on picture, I think this maybe because of hdmi handshake problems between all my kit, so Ive gone to useing Components again. I do use a Video processor/scaler with the dvd player, but switching between hdmi and components, I didnt notice a diference. This could be down to a few things, the Fujitsu 58 series plasma I use has a good VP inside and obviously the external VP helps, but if it were me, I would try the two inputs side by side. My component outputs on the 868 are set to 576i. The problem with letting the 868 do the scaling work is that its very old technology. Ive looked at the instuctions for my 868, it says it will output 576 interlaced, try that and compare it to 1080i (as near to the native on your screen - 1080p), see which looks better. From what Ive seen the Panasonic plasmas arent too bad for upscaling from standard def.

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
To be honest, my reasoning is that the DV-868 is several years old and the plasma is current, so surely the doubler and scaler in the plasma is better than in the DVD player. I know quality of other internal components etc is important, but advances in scaling chips must have moved on way past the DV-868 which was one of the very first upscaling DVD players. I mean you can get upscaling DVD players now for less than £100 and the DV-868 was £1000 back in the day.

I was thinking that outputting the most direct signal possible from the DVD disc to the plasma, so that the only conversion is by the plasma to it's native rate would give the best results. What is the native resolution of DVD discs? Is it 576i or 576p?

Logic is not flawed except that Panasonics, even the V10, don't have proper deinterlacing for film. Their scaling is ok.

Native DVD is 576i so if the DV-868 can deinterlace properly then maybe 576p (525p) is the way to go. But if you can't see a difference and get artefacts on all resolutions, I'd suggest the Oppo would be a great investment.

gmt steve

I will go Blueray at some point, but I want to get the best out of what I have for now (plus I have to pay for the plasma). So it looks like, in theory at least, 576p from the 868 is the way to go. That should give superior de interlacing from the player and let the plasma do the scaling. I definitely don't want to use the component outputs as keeping thing digital until the plasma has got to be better. A lot less clutter too.

On a similar note does anyone know what is going on with 'Intelligent Frame Creation'? Is this something to do with de interlacing, scaling or maybe the 400hz aspect of the plasma. How does this feature fit in with my original question?
I can't find any meaningful info on this particular feature.

A_Venables

I will go Blueray at some point, but I want to get the best out of what I have for now (plus I have to pay for the plasma). So it looks like, in theory at least, 576p from the 868 is the way to go. That should give superior de interlacing from the player and let the plasma do the scaling. I definitely don't want to use the component outputs as keeping thing digital until the plasma has got to be better. A lot less clutter too.

On a similar note does anyone know what is going on with 'Intelligent Frame Creation'? Is this something to do with de interlacing, scaling or maybe the 400hz aspect of the plasma. How does this feature fit in with my original question?
I can't find any meaningful info on this particular feature.

To be honest, the best way is just to try switching between all the modes on the HDMI and see what looks best - pick a scene on a film with plenty of detail and just review it in the different resolutions/interlaced/progressive. Costs nothing, just time. Cant blame you wanting to keep the 868, with it ilinked to the AX10, sounds great!

A_Venables

Ive just done a search on that IFC function, according to people with older panasonic models with this function, they are saying its best left turned off, some said its the same function as "24p real cinema"? People saying it makes no difference or makes motion look un natural. Do a search, either through google or this website.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom