1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Or Dlp?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Dave Sayer, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Dave Sayer

Dave Sayer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I to am new to the large screen and will be buying soon when Ive made my mind up.
    Thing is for me its Plasma or DLP, Im sure you plasma boys have an opinion on DLP and I would like to know the advantages of Plasma over DLP.

At the moment the Toshiba 46wm48p DLP is £1400 ish and HD ready.The most cost affective plasma I can find thats HD compatible (is that the same as HD ready?) is the Hitachi 42pd5200h @ £1389. Is this screen any good?

I have read about the rainbow affect, any more problems with DLP, what are the draw backs if any (screen burn) with plasma.

Comments please, any help would be gratefully recieved.

2. Stu Ward

Stu Ward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As i understand it HD Compatible is a far shot from HD ready.

Compatible simply means that the screen will play a HD signal but it will downgrade (downsize) it to SD in order to do do.

Stu

3. MrNPG

MrNPG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Be warned that the "rainbow effect" is not limited to DLPs. I get it with my plasma too. Not all people suffer from this side effect but if you're one of them like me, you will notice it on DLPs or plasmas.

4. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    The rainbow effect seen on DLPs is not related to any similar effect that some have seen on plasma screens. It's caused by the technology tricking the human eye into seeing a colour image when in fact it's seeing a greyscale image which has colour added to it via a high speed colour wheel. With some people this "trickery" doesn't quite work and they see flashes of colour around the edges of moving images.

DLP is great value and the PQ is hard to beat but you have to take this factor into consideration as well as the possible extra expense of replacing the lamp every so many years.

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    That is not the same as the rainbow effect, some plasmas can leave a slight trail, like a ghosting in red, green and blue.
    Take a scene with a dark background and a close up of a well lit face, if the face moves across screen quickly you sometimes get this multicoloured trail left behind for a split second. It happens more when the screen is not being given its native refresh rate, most screens convert everything to native refresh to get round this problem, take the NEC screens for example, if you go into the service menu and turn off Frame Rate Conversion you can get the screen to refresh 50hz at 50hz rather than converting it back to 60hz, however the trails are so bad it makes the thing unusable.

DLP on the other hand is just seeing the red, green and blue of the image seperately and thus gives this sort of rainbow effect round the edge of things, on most newer dlp sets I no longer see this, unless it is white text on a black background, but it still makes me feel really, really sick and gives me a stonking headache.