1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma or DLP

Discussion in 'TVs' started by enigma1701, Apr 17, 2005.

1. enigma1701

enigma1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Hi Everyone!

This is my first post and I've been watching these forums for a while and I must say that everyone has been a great help to me! So cheers!

Anyway to my question, and I'm really sorry if this has came up before but I just cant seem to see or find any specific comments. I was originally going to buy a plasma but after reading the opinions about the sammy SP50 I recon I'm going to buy that instead. I have to ask tho, since I'm looking to spend about 2300 on a new telly, and the quality for movies is really important, is the sammy better than any plasma for the same price??

Space isnt really important to me, so sammy or another DLP or plasma doesnt bother me, but what is really better for the money?

2. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    i would say yes, for the price , the samsung is better as its a dlp chip. most dlp tvs are better so you get more bang per buck so to speak. dlps are also high def ready so its future proof to some extent and you can view high def material provided its got a dvi / hdmi port and has hdcp (which the samsung has). flick thru the serval posts in this forum and you will see peoples opinions about various dlps.

3. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whatever else you do make sure you get a demo don't just rely on reading post's or reviews.

4. enigma1701

enigma1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Cheers guys!

I've only ever seen a couple of dlps (inc the sammy 46 and 50) and both of them looked smashing, but if you take a trick to currys or comet, the first thing you notice about the different plasmas are, blacks not black, some look really pixelated, then you hit the 2500 or 3000 range and the pictures look really good - although its not the 50" of a dlp!

Decisions decisions! I'm gonna buy one this month, its just deciding what but the sammy 50" is looking like the buy just now. I'll need to look at the RD50 too - but I get the impression its a question of taste between the two!! :)

5. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I agree - don't even think about buying without getting a proper demo.

I had my heart set on buying DLP until I got a good Demo and realised that I suffer (badly) from the "rainbow effect", which means for me DLP is not an option (which is why I'm going to be buying a Panasonic TH-42PV500 High Definition plasma).

Make you sure you take plenty of time, and take some source material (e.g. DVD's) with you, so that you can compare the PQ of whatever sets you are looking at.

Good luck.

6. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mkae sure you get a demo of a TV feed, Freeview or Sky, depending what you have at home. The Sagem suffers with banding/solarisation on camera movements, especially on skin tones. The rainbox effect used to bother me, but I think my eyes have adjusted after living with the set for a couple of weeks, so I rarely notice it.