1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma or CRT

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Sukhy, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Sukhy

Sukhy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've upgraded from Pany 36" CRT to Pany TH42PA20. Sorry to say, right now, i'm not happy!!
    I am using Pany DVD-RV60 with QED AV21 scart cable (RGB). Pany Sky box with IXOS cable (RGB). Signal quality strength 80%.
    Using Sky or DVD, 36" CRT was better. Plasma picture quality is not as sharp as CRT. Sky is particularily poor. I really thought the quality i would get would be as good as or even better than CRT.
    Am I doing something wrong? Was my 4k wrongly spent?? I though the new Panny 6-series was the dog's B's!!

2. /\/\j17

/\/\j17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plasma picture quality ISN'T as good as CRT - but that's always going to be the case when one technology has had 50 years of development and the other has had 5 or 6.

I've just gone through the 4:3 CRT/widescreen CRT/Plasma choice myself and ended up with a plasma (Pio. 433MXE).

The Plasma didn't win on the picture stakes, but between a 29" 4:3 CRT at £300 and a 36" CRT at £1500 you only gain an inch or so in screen height.

A 43" plasma gains you a noticable amound of height (and width) and doesn't weigh 75KG!

Now I rent my flat (so moving the TV could be an annual event) and like the BIG picture effect (and because of renting can't guarantee a room dark enough to make a projector shine).

If picture quality is more important to you than screen size (say TV watching over DVD watching) then you probably have made the wrong choice I'm afraid.

NB:
    You also have to remember the plasma has the same amount of picture information to work with at the CRT, but an extra 6" of screen diagonal to fill. This not only magnifies the picture, but also all the imperfections in the input signal. Take a highly compressed signal (such as sports) and you will see all the fragments and errors added by the (lossy) signal compression.

3. Sukhy

Sukhy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

My initial thougts are, oh ****! how do i now justify the substantial hole in my bank balance to my wife!

More importantly, can i tweak the sources to improve the picture quality given i have only spent 10mins so far in setting this up?

4. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Sukhy

There are a few more distinct advantages for the plasma over CRT. I personally find them quite important...

* Perfect focus
    * No geometric distortion
    * Even light output
    * No susceptibility to magnetic fields

...hope it helps to..... convince the wife... ha!

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Hi Sukhy,

As your plasma only has 480 line resolution, you will be losing 96 lines from your PAL Sky signal and PAL DVDs. No amount of tweaking will get this lost detail back, I'm afraid. You could probably improve your Sky picture by setting the contrast to low on the digibox but you are at the mercy of Sky's pathetically low bitrate on most channels. As pointed out, your plasma is magnifying all the digital artifacts which were previously masked by your CRT.

Steve

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You've also not bought the sharpest plasma on the market. The PW6 is noticeably sharper, especially with component board rather than scart, but this is more time, trouble and expense. The PA20 is a plug and play plasma solution, if it was as good as a monitor people would have stopped buying monitors. All integrated TV plasmas suffer some loss over their monitor cousins, just like buying a music centre instead of hi fi separates. Look at the picture on a crt computer monitor for detail and lack of flicker etc. The monitor type enables you to choose the best components and connections yourself.

7. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: :eek:

Talk about hitting a man when he is down.

"Thanks to the friendly guys at AVforums.com I booked myself into a clinic straight away..."

OK, so you have made your decision - and you aren't happy.

What can you do to improve the picture?

1. Check out your contrast and brightness settings - they are usually way too high, and accentuate the artifacts.

2. Turn down the sharpness setting, beleive it or not most displays have this too high, a slightly softer image is what is recommended by ISF trained Gordon, my display is set at -6. It takes a little getting used to, but offers a more natural image and again masks the artifact presence.

3. Get an IScan Ultra (on loan!) to see if it improves the detail through better deinterlacing and scaling (but this only applies if you have HD15 input and a PAL/NTSC progressive scan display).

4. Tell your dealer that you are not happy with the screens performance, and suggest trying a monitor version like the Pio MXE or the Panasonic equivalents.

Finally, hide the receipt, and tell your wife you paid £2k for it. (I would never do this one btw) It won't improve the picture, but might save your life!!!

:devil:

8. hotrod

hotrod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i must admit i am in the same boat. I have just bought my first plasma (the philips from <b>spit</b> dixons) and after spending £3800 on a complete new system i wondered whether i had done the right thing. The sound from my sony save 705 is excellent but i am not overly keen on the picture quality of the display. From a distance it looks the dogs swingers but from sitting a couple of feet away there are that many artifacts it makes the picture look crap (i understand that you shouldn't watch from a couple of feet away though - when i sort my own place out though that will obviously change). A freeview picture is totally abismal as is a majority of dvds when connected throught the tuner box via component. The only exception is some newer films, cgi movies or star wars ep 1 or 2 (which i was sold on) or soul calibur 2 etc on the xbox via rgb

1 question (and this may help sukhy)- the vga signal from the computer is perfect would bypassing the tuner box in favour of a vga2rgb convertor be any better?

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Don't think a vga converter will work. the vga port is designed only for computer use, they've offered you a bunch of other connectors for other sources. If the manual tells you the information, you need to sheck the horizontal synch range of the vga port, it needs to start at 15khz for a vga converter to work.

10. Cabo 5150

Cabo 5150

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sukhy, I'm really sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with your new Plasma. I have a Panny series 4 and must say I'm ecstatic with the picture quality. I'm feeding component inputs from my best DVD player and feel the image is by far the most smooth and cinematic I've ever had in a home cinema set-up. My previous main set was a Sony 36" CRT, I have that in the bedroom now and find the picture looks horribly over processed to me now. Have you tried turning the contrast/sharpness down etc. I'm sure there are many demonstrable ways of proving CRT's are still ahead of Plasma, but for me that just doesn't hold water.

11. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Fully agree Cabo....my Sony 32" is now also in the bedroom and its CRT cannot beat the plasma's DVD component performance..

12. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    Costas/Cabo

Sukhy specifically says that the plasma looks poor with Sky not DVD. This would fit in with my personal experience - plasmas always look much better with DVD than with Sky. Its not just an issue of the larger plasma screen showing up the poor quality of the broadcast, as to me 32" plasmas look worse with Sky than a good 36" CRT.

That is why I ended up buying a Panasonic 36PD30 CRT rather than any of the Sony/Philips/Panny 32/37" plasmas.

13. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    My plasma looks fine with Sky on mainstream channels - it looks really bad on analogue though.

14. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It's certainly true that a top-notch CRT will beat any plasma for pure picture quality. But your chances of finding one are extremely slim. And plasmas have great pluses too: they're very good with DVDs, have perfect focus and geometry as already stated, take up much less room than a CRT, can be easily lifted and moved - and look great even when they're off.