1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma or CRT, crunch time

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kerraig, Jan 10, 2003.

1. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cut and pasted from the CRT forum. Forgive me.

Ok, I very nearly bought the 42" panny plasma, but now i'm thinking about the 36" tosh and panny CRT's. Help me decide. Here's a few pointers to clarify my position.

If I buy a plasma it won't be hung on the wall but instead will be on a stand, so the flatness is less of an issue.

I don't watch ANY sports so the problems with digital correction (or whatever it's called) on footie makes no odds to me.

Sound is unimportant as i have a seperate system.

Picture quality is of maximum importance.

My main priority is DVD and videogames. TV comes after both of these as I hardly watch it. Both my DVD player and Xbox have progressive scan. My Gamecube has an RGB scart.

Although I can afford the Panny, the extra expense (roughly £1,500 above CRT) is getting harder and harder for me to justify. Is the picture quality THAT much better than a 100hz CRT with prog scan? or is it just the screen size and space saving that really appeals?

Basically, what would you go for in my position?

2. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you want the best picture quality go for a CRT.

If you want to get close to recreating the feel of a cinema and show off to your mates get a plasma

3. j_smit

j_smit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I work with plasma (panny included) day in, day out and the panny is easily the best screen on the market.

I would go for the plasma but only because of the style and pose factor. However saying that for Sky broadcasts I prefer the look for my CRT (albeit a top of the range one).

BUT saying that - gaming is far better on plasma to you really need a plasma to enjoy that progressive scan eliment to it's full potential.

4. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to review the Panny against the Pioneer MXE and Hitachi this weekend - looking forward to seeing for myself!
    However, I will definitely listen to someone who views them day in day out (including owners) because a demo can never be quite the same..

Simon

5. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Go with the CRT. If its true picture quality your after, the best plasma can only match an average CRT. Plasma only truly comes into its own when used with external scalers or HCPC were the image is snapped in (pixel matched) to the resolution of the screen.

I have worked with plasma since its release and have never come across a screen that resolves the problem of solarisation. If you get off on pin sharp images with high contrast and realism you will be disapointed by plasma!

6. installer09

installer09
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went from a 36" phillips to a 43" pioneer plasma , exactly 10" bigger screen , imo it is a better picture , just shows up weaknesses more, I could never go back to a crt.

7. Napoleon

Napoleon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Out of interest,would you rate a rear projection tv(correctly set up),higher than a plasma in terms of picture quality ?.I keep getting close to buying a large rear projection tv for dvds,but never quite take the step.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Your problem with a rear projection set is that it's only at it's best for 2 or 3 people in the room. The quality falls off pretty rapidly when you are not in the sweet spot. If it's just you and your PS2, so to speak, a rear projection set, IMHO, can match a plasma. But not otherwise.

9. DaveCheltenham

DaveCheltenham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    kerraig - It was just the choice I faced about 2 months ago now and I was looking at the same alternatives as you.

Don't be fooled into always thinking that a smaller screen is a better picture quality. As one of the posts points out, you tend to see more of the picture source defects on a bigger screen.

On reviewing both your CRT 36 inch options (DVB ones in my case), there were slight linearity, convergence, peripheral focus and picture breathing problems. Also on both, the verticallity of the edge of a 4:3 picture varied depending on brightness. None of the above is experienced on the Plasma.

The other thing was size. I had a 32 inch widescreen which I couldn't lift by myself and a 36 inch was also going to take up too much space in our room. They are massive. I use the Plasma with the table top stand and it fits in fine.

Having used it for 2 months now, I don't agree about the inferior picture quality but you do have to be careful about bright logos and still images. Connections have to be sorted out but once this is done, fantastic is the word and I like my video (and sound) quality. I use it with Sky+, a DVD player and a DTT box for local programmes + a VCR where the progressive scan seems to greatly improve the picture quality. The only thing we miss is Teletext as the “i” services are not so comprehensive.

Only a personal view but hope it is useful.

10. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ignore everyone on the board and go spend some time look at screens. Select which one fits your eyes/personal taste. One thing to remember 36 inch TV's weight a f'ing ton.

Neil.

11. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree with Neil regarding going with your personal taste,

but I can say that if you go with a Plasma you won't be sitting in front of it in a few months thinking "hmmm, the quality is not *quite* as good as CRT - you will just be sitting in front of it enjoying it and thinking "wow - this is bloody great!"

From someone who went from a decent quality CRT to Plasma, I was a bit worried too, even after comparing side by side, but I went for it and I have absolutely no regrets, the quality (of the Panny) is fantastic.

And as well as weighing a ton 36" CRTs take up a huge amount of space - my room has been transformed by the plasma, I could now swing several cats if I wanted to.

12. installer09

installer09
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why should he ignore every one on this board , hes asked a question for people who have had experiance with CRT's and plasma's to give there opinion , and offer advice , thats what these boards are for , how would you like it if next time you ask a question we all tell you to figure it out your self.

13. S2KI

S2KI
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A good point installer, but put a little harshly, I feel.

I think the sentiment was more, to believe your own eyes. Certainly people post threads when they want advice, that can be taken for granted. I have recieved a lot of good advice from this forum and if anything it has got me even more interested in tech side to AV. But when buying any visual device nothing beats personal preferance.

Seeing is believing! But always make sure the plasma is hooked up properly many places use crap composite hook ups from one communal source.

I love my plasma having looked at the sony 36". Go for it you won't regret it.

14. WebLoader

WebLoader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok - its time to put the cat in amongst the pidgeons..

i dont think a plasma is the way to go for someone that isnt that bothered about tv viewing.

for videogames and movies, it is all about impact. this you will only get with a large screen.

i too run gamecube and xbox , plus a few 'legacy' consoles from time to time ;-)

it is a much more immerisive experience playing these on a decent LCD projector than on a tv set. also, you dont have to worry about burn in, which is a real concern if you intend to do a lot of gaming.

another point mentioned was that plasmas are best when used with an external scaler / htpc to get the image snapped in to the native resolution of the panel. I bought the sony hs10 projector, and that has a very good scaler built in does a pretty good job on even poor sources (as i type my son is playing mario sunshine , 60hz pal via composite video, on a 60" diagonal 4:3 image in daylight, and it looks pretty good - with component cables i know it will be stunning - thats what i am running xbox on.)

before all the plasma owners start flaming me - they are a great bit of kit, but i dont think they are the best fit for kerraigs requirements..

15. cadmeister

cadmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 2 Cents...

I've had my Panny for 2 months and every day I watch it I still have to pinch myself. I have a wife and kids so our viewing is probably very different to Kerraigs (25% DVD, 10% VCR, 65% TV) and I have to say that given different circumstances I too would go with Webloader's suggestion of a Projector. For DVD and Gaming there is nothing as immersive. I watch ed LOTR on a decent projector with 5 foot image over Christmas and it was stunning. However, as Neil says (and don't read it the wrong way), you need to do your own research...as well as get views here.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

16. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Read the rules please...Posters must not...
    8. Create their new threads in more than one forum. You should pick the single most appropriate forum for your message...I have closed your other thread as this one had more replies.
    Forum rules

17. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry about that. I couldn't decide which forum it was supposed to be in.

Well, I spent most of Saturday comparing TV's and I must say I was thoroughly impressed with the Panny 42". Seeing a prog scan image of Minority Report really jumped outta the screen, whereas on the CRT it was merely "stunning".

However, after a few recommendations i'm also gonna look at some projectors too!

I don't reckon i'm gonna be rushing into this.