Plasma or 36" Phillips / Toshiba

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by karl, Jul 9, 2002.

1. karl

karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been following the threads for a couple of weeks now. Great source of info from enthusiasts.

Just moved into a new house and have just finished decorating :)

I was thinking of a 36" Phillips Pixel+ TV or new Toshiba Strata.

I saw a 32" Tosh in powerhouse and when switched to progressive scan it looked very good.

However, talk of a 42" plasma for £3,500 - Toshiba 42pw16 has tempted me. Supposed to be the same as the Panasonc 42".

I have seen the 42" panasonic in operation and it looked good.

What is the general view about this plasma v CRT ?

Unfortunately due to the layout of the room I will not be able to wall mount a plasma. Quite a big room but an unusual layout. 30 feet by 15 feet but divided into two with an archway. TV will have to go in a corner between the two parts of the room.

It will have to go on a corner unit which will lose some of the effect. I could use a swing out wall mount but I will have to put the Sky + box and DVD system (sony DAV-S500) somewhere. Any ideas ?

Basically, is it worth the extra for the plasma or is it better to go for a CRT and possibly buy a Panasonic AE100 Projector with the saving ?

Any thoughts / experiences ?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Karl.
    I think that the plasma panels are getting a little better . I have seen some very nice pictures from Panasonic, Fujitsu, Revox & Pioneer..
    Only the other day i saw an Arcam DV27 driving a Panasonic 42.
    The picture was very good, with excellent colours, and pretty good black levels. Also, i have seen the superb TAG DVD32R on a
    Fujitsu 42, and the picture was highly comendable.
    I accept that these 2 players are from the higher plane of DVD
    spinners, but they did show that pleasing pictures can be attained from a plasma.
    They are getting better.....

Adzman

3. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I would go for the CRT + Projector option... Plasmas look nice as they are so thin, but they don't match good CRTs for picture and also you'll be mighty miffed if on-screen logos destroy it through burn-in. The other point to consider is that they are quite fragile... if it falls over you'll end up with ruptured cells and paying for a new display panel!

4. codlord

codlord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I used to have Sony 32" 100hz Wega and now have the Silver Toshiba 42pw16 (indeed exactly the same as the Panasonic).

In my experience you cannot get much better picture quality at the moment than the likes of the 32" or 36" Sony 100hz, the Tosh/Panny Plasma is very good and flicker free like the 100hz but not *quite* as good as the CRT - but to be honest not much in it - I am very very impressed with the plasma.

As someone has said you could get burn-in problems with on-screen logos if you watch a lot of tv (i don't watch any tv so no problem for me), and as you can't wall mount and get the space advantages that that brings I would suggest going for a decent 100hz 32 or 36 CRT.

5. karl

karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

The plasma is so tempting though but I am finding it hard to justify. Particularly when I could get a 36" Tv, the Projector and screen for the same cash. I have another room to put the projector in approx 18 feet square. Ideal AV room but a bit of a waste to put the Plasma in there rather than the lounge.

Decisions - Decisions :confused: