1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

plasma opinions requested

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kacang, Jun 15, 2004.

1. kacang

kacang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, being a faithful poster and reader of both avsforum and avforums, I'v been trying to make up my mind about buying a LCD or plasma fro my bedroom. I have seen several screens both LCD and plasma and sorta narrowed it down to three candidates. sharp LC-32GD2, hitachi 42 plasma (I think in UK it's the 5200 or 5300) here it is the 5000TA, and panasonic PW6. FYI i've been reading loads of threads on why LCD or why plasma and seen most of you guys terrific review and problems, but I though i'd get all the thoughts organized in a new thread.

Funny thing I noticed that here there are a lot of followers of hitachi but on avsforum.com there are not so many. I can't but wonder why that is.

I feel the pixel layout of 1024*1024 is in many cases better then what panasonic offers, but there might be other drawbacks.

I have seen the older 30/37 Sharp LCD and hey look magnificent also. The newer 32" will be 1366*768 pixels (true 16:9).

Please guys help me make up my mind, and let me know what your opinions are. Pro's and con's between panny and hitachi. with respect to black level, scaling, inputs etc etc. I think the sharp new G series sorta offers it all, DVI, tuner, statelite tuner etc etc. Specially people who might have compared the panny PW5 or PW6 with the hitachi's would be very welcome to comment.

I am greatfull already :)

PS I am in indonesia..

Erick Otto

2. kacang

kacang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No takers ? Opinions ? Has anyone ever seen the hitachi beside a panasonic PW5 or PW6 ?

Erick :lease:

3. nm10721

nm10721
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Kacang,

this probably wouldn't be a fair comparison, but I've seen the Hitachi 32pd5200 and the Panasonic Pa20 in Comet and they both had Ice Age playing. Both these plasmas were very nice indeed, with the Hitachi edging out in front, albeit this would be due to the fact it is a smaller screen.

I deliberated between the Hitachi 42pd5200 and the Panasonic Pa20 and Digital Direct swayed me towards the Hitachi. Wether they were just trying to punt the Hitachi onto me as the Panasonic was not in stock, I dont know, but I have had it about 10 days now and am thoroughly chuffed with it.

Cartoon films like Ice Age, Finding Nemo etc are nothing short of stunning!

You wouldn't go far wrong getting either, but remember the Hitachi has a free portable DVD player!

Neil
    Falkirk

4. kacang

kacang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    falkirk, thanks for the reply, although not familiar with the pa20. I would guess they might be similar to the PW6's.

I think since I am in Indonesia, the free DVD offer might not be there, but one thing I am sure about, the hitachi runs me around 4900 US$ where as the PW6 will run me around 5500 US$.. so that's quite a bit

Everyone always seem to point to panasonics better blacks but I guess everything has a price. How do you find the hitachi in dark room viewing ? and with standard analog TV material ?

Erick