1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma on plasterboards

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by suniil, Feb 16, 2005.

1. suniil

suniil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    Hi all,

I've looked into other threads and have fair idea. Correct me if i'm wrong

I've to fix plasma (37" with 25 Kg wt) on inner wall of a new flat. The partition have plasterboards on both sides with timber studs.

Plans
    a. Cut the plasterboard and fix a MDF panel of same size on to the timber studs (please recommend fixing screws etc)
    b. Wall fixing unit will be screwed onto MDF and then hang plasma

Queries

a. What kind of screws /fixing stuff required
    b. Can we repaint on top of MDF with the same wall paint?
    c. For filling the gaps what material is required

Thanks in advance
    N2P

2. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    If you are going to the extent of removing plasterboard, I would personally not bother with the MDF.
    Remove the plasterboard, and fit some wooden batons in between the existing frameworks already within the stud wall. Plan these extra batons to suit the position of your wall bracket. fit a new piece of plasterboard and skim it with board finish. This takes care of b and c in your queries.
    To mount the wall bracket, put as many screws in, as your bracket will allow.
    I would go to your local woodcraft centre and get screws with a 12 or 14 gauge.(heavier if they stock them)
    Make sure they are not countersunk.
    If the batons are 3", use screws as long as you can get away with, without popping them out the wall on the other side.
    Also, if the head of the screw is relatively small compared to the mounting hole on the bracket, use washers.
    A word of caution for this method, remember where any cabling is situated within the walls before you put screws in.......

Johnny.

3. suniil

suniil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    Fantastic idea!! 99% i'll be going ahead with that.

1% - In my wall there seems to be 2 plasterboard put together (12 mm each). Is it a good idea to fix a 12 mm mdf and on top of that another plaster board with 12 mm thickness, instead of cross wood battons? Will that give the safety, which wood battons give?

Thanks again
    N2P

4. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    If you put mdf in as your "underskin", you may have problems getting the top skin, which will be plasterboard, to take to the mdf.
    If it is double skin, put plasterboard as first skin, fill with browning, then skim with finishing plaster.
    It is only my opinion, but I would go for the wooden batons and plasterboard/plaster.

Johnny.

5. suniil

suniil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    Thanks

Sorry for asking too much!! Where can we buy plasterboards? (can't find in b&q website)

Thanks again
    N2P

6. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Do you have a local Jewsons, or any building material merchant.

7. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    B&Q do sell plasterboard, at least the superstores do (bought some a couple of weeks ago). Wickes also sell it, and I think Focus.

8. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Plasterboard can withstand a larger amount of force than many people realise. The [25 kg] weight is not pulling out, it is mainly pushing downwards. Some properly fixed toggle or umbrella plugs will hold nearly all domestic items

9. Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hmm, I've toyed with this idea too as I have plasterboard walls and I must say, there's no way in hell I'd trust a couple of toggle fixings to hold up a £2000 piece of kit. Knocking the wall and fitting extra batons makes a lot more sense to me.

The wall I'd be mounting on is an outside wall and has block behind the plaster, so i could fix the backing plate to this and give the plasma a semi-flush appearance. I'd only have to cut a hole big enough for the mounting plate as this would sit 'inside' the wall and I could then run my cables down behind the plaster board to the skirting and have a break-out behind my A/V equipment.

Thats the way I see it anyway....I'd like another opinion as to whether this seems feasible before i go ahead and do it..

10. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Scaley, sounds like your walls in that room are 'dry-lined'. Depending on how old your house is, it may have been done for a reason i.e. slight damp problem.

11. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you have a block wall to fix to then you should just use some 120mm or 150mm 'hammerfix' or 'framefix' screws/plugs.

You do not need to rip the plasterboard apart as the block wall will give you a good fixing

12. Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah, sorry. I should have metioned that the house is only 8 years old. :suicide:

I quite like the idea of a semi-flush screen with the cables in the wall but your right, why knock the platser out if I can fix the bracket with longer bolts? I suppose I could still run the cables down behind the plasterboard.

Thanks for the input. :thumbsup:

13. as8602

as8602

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Look at how your kitchen wall units are fixed to the wall.

You'll probably find that they use rather more wimpy methods than you're proposing for your plasma. And you'll probably find that they (when typically laden) weigh somewhat more.

14. robbym12345

robbym12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    N2p go with Jonny's suggestion that is the correct method. Bear in mind the double plasterboard will be for fire regulations and therefore eseential so make sure you replace it as it is. for get the mdf, bad idea!!