1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma on fire

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by abooker, May 27, 2005.

1. abooker

abooker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, not literally. But I'd like to buy a plasma screen for in my lounge, but the only place I could put it is on the chimney breast - but I'm worried that my fireplace will do some damage to the plasma screen itself. Its a big chimney breast and the plasma will be about nearly two metres up the wall. Please can anyone advise if it will be a problem or if there's anything I could do to prevent it being one ...
    Many thanks in advance ...

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Get a piece of paper about the size of the plasma and tape it to the wall where the plasma will go. This will let you do two things:

1. You can make sure that the viewing anlge is going to be comfortable with the screen that high hup the wall.
    2. You could put a thermometer at the bottom of the 'screen' and see how hot it gets to see it if stays within the recommended temperatures for the plasma.

HTH

John

3. voxmagna

voxmagna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can we assume you intend using the fire? I've got a 14.5Kw woodburner in mine which roasts anything within a metre, so I quickly went off the idea. With a fire on you'll have hot air convected up the front to the ceiling, an open fire will chuck out some SO2 and other bad stuff that won't be good in the electronics. Do some air temperature measurement if you can.

I'm thinking of building a tidy bracket so I can go for fireplace mount in the summer, than back to the stand in the winter. Do you want to live in a room with a nice cosy real fire running, or watch a plasma? It's the one case I'd argue wins for a drop down screen projection setup.

4. abooker

abooker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks so far - much appreciated.
    We use the fire sometimes in the winter, but there's a couple of radiators in the room as well so it's not used too often.
    I'll certainly try the thermometer idea and see how hot it makes the wall on the inside of the room then check it against what the manufacturers say - I'm after a cheapish one, around the 1k mark. Whats the usual temperatures they can operate in ??

5. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    The operating temperature range for mine (a Hitachi 5300) is 5~35°C so I would image most would be around the same. Have a look at the manufactures website(s) for the panels you're interested in - they should have the specs there.

John

6. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like lots of things, it depends. There are two problems from a fireplace that may be a source of concern: Heat and smoke.

First Smoke. If you have a fireplace without a mantle or ledge above it, smoke can be a very big no, no. This is especially true if you have a wood-burning fireplace where the smoke will also contain creosote and other nastiness. If your fire is like this, you cannot mount the plasma over the fireplace. If however you have a ledge that sticks out several inches or more from the wall, generally keep the fire burning behind glass doors, use only gas in the fireplace, etc. you may be fine.

Remember that no manufacturer, upon discovering your plasma is filled with particulates or soot will repair it under warranty.

Heat is another problem. Here, the best bet it to first determine how hot the wall gets by running the fireplace. You want to feel around the space on the wall and in front of wall, perhaps using a thermometer to measure the air temperature several inches in front of the wall out to about 12-15 inches from the wall.

If the wall itself feels cool to the touch and the air is not exceptionally hot in front of the wall, you have just one more concern: the mount. You will attach the mount to the wall over the fireplace and this will be normally be done with metal screws. There is a risk that these screws will get very hot and conduct excessive heat to the mount and then to the plasma. This would be bad. It is important to understand the insulation issues around the chimney and make sure the wall mount does not in any way compromise the chimney's insulation and allow the mount to become a heat conductor.

If, of course, the wall feels uncomfortably hot to the touch or the air temperature is significantly above 35 degrees Celsius in front of that wall, you need to find another place to mount your plasma.

Common sense tells you not to use the fire and the plasma at the same time if you can get away with that.

This below is too close for a plasma(but hey it might not have been above a fireplace)

[​IMG]

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    @ Enquirer
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

8. abooker

abooker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your advice - I'll be sat roasting inside this weekend with my thermometer now !! j/k !

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Is that a Tiny plasma?

10. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    If so, that's 1 down 16,499 to go!

11. sheety

sheety
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It certainly looks small on my screen :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Sorry couldn't resist :devil:

12. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    might be Maw(could be a watchdog reconstruction of a Mr David Hall's switch it back on even though smoke came out of it plasma :D )