1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma on a low budget!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by is1111, Apr 3, 2005.

1. is1111

is1111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    hi been reading the forums for a short while now and really confused as to what plasma to go for on a low budget.
    made what appears to be a huge mistake ordering tiny plasma with free dvd recorder and a table to put it on.
    tv not due till monday 18th april and i have only paid £100 deposit.
    i want to cancel this now or when i receive it as i think i am within my rights to do this but this leaves me trying to find an alternative for about a budget of abot £1600. might be able to stretch a little more but not much!
    plasma needs to be on a stand and i would also need to get some sort of table/unit to house sky+ and yam rxv450 amp.
    not worried about sound as i have suuround system but want to connect sky+, dvd via component and would also be looking to play ps2/xbox and gamecube via component on it too.
    can anyone suggest screen and cheap dvd with component out that i could achieve with a tight budget.,
    appreciate anyones input.(MAW can you help??) :lease:

many thanks in advance

2. SShaw

SShaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at Richer Sounds Panasonic 37PW7 offer, may fit the bill.

Scott

3. is1111

is1111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    cheers might have a look at that. i take it i need a scart board and component board with that screen for my sky+ and dvd. where is cheapest place to get these and are they standard panasonic boards that fit all panasonic plasmas.

also anyone got any other options.

much appreciated!

4. groove

groove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    To play all those I think you're going to need a component switching box.

I had the same problem 2 xbox's , ps2, gamecube , sky+ and dvd player that i wanted to connect ALL via component but my Yamaha 750 only had 2 component inputs.

So i got hold of 2 Audio Authority 1154A's ( although youll only need one i think ) wich give you 4 auto switching compenent ins to 1 out. All with digital optical/coax and phone inputs.

So I have all 4 consles in 1 going to input 2 and sky ( via JS box) and dvd player going into the other into input 1 on the amp.

Works like a charm and fully auto switching.

5. is1111

is1111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    to be honest although i want to play all my consoles on it i have a separate room with 32" tv where all the games stuff is so i would only really be dragging out one console at a time whenever i got the chance to play on the plasma in the living room.
    also as the scart board for a 37pw7 is about same price as a js converter thing is it best to get the js converter for sky+?
    would connect dvd by component i think so wouldn't actually need a scart connection.

6. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Or if you don't mind putting them through something cheaper (just the consoles that it) then you could try one of these.

7. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    Hi is1111

I got my DVI terminal board for my PW7 from these people http://www.day3.co.uk/catalog/index.php/cPath/162_163_316/sort/2a/page/2 the customer service and price was very good, they don't seem to have much in stock at the mo, but you could give them a call.

If you do go for a 37PW7 you have 2 slots for extra boards, plus the standard VGA input. I use the JS Tech box for freeview, don't have sky but most people on here would recommend the JS box into the VGA port over scart.

8. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    have a look at the lg rz42 px 11

make sure its the new version! a lot of people are being surprised and impressed with the panel!
    it has all the connections you could ever want and comes with stand and can be picked up for around £1300 now in certain places.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi there, how's your sound done? If you have a AV sound system, or even a stereo you can take over for the purpose, the PW would be excellent. If not, and you need a TV replacement, you need to look at something like the LG. I hear that import Panasonic Vieras are around for about £1600 too, that's a lot of plasma for the money. With your budget, you are best with a 42", nobody ever thinks their screen is too big, lots of people wish they'd got a bigger one to start with. Bear in mind with TV type models it will be a monster even at 37", the attached speakers make them pretty big. Cheap DVD might depend on your sound options, but Pioneer budget DVD's rule the sub £100 class IMHO

10. is1111

is1111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    thanks MAW. i have a yam rxv450 & waiting on delivery of canton cd1 so sound isn't an issue.
    would prefer a 42" but seen what appears to be a good deal on 37" pw7 at shop at digital. the screen ,swivel stand and free component board for £1149 delivered.
    would buy a js converter for sky+ and then find a reasonably cheap dvd player to connect to component board.
    i play games consoles but this wouldn't be that often on this tv as it will be in living room and i have a separate room for with tv in it and consoles.
    trying to find a 42" but the deals that were on seem to have dried up. do you think the price of 42" will drop with new panasonic screens coming out soon??

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Got some calls to make on 42"screens this am, I'll see what the score is then. I don't do a great deal of business with the SD panels these days, canusually talk bigger C.I. customers into an HD of some sort. The usual folks, and panasonic themselves, do seem to have 'hardened up' the price on 42s, there are stories that this will be industry wide soon, they are all just waiting to see who will be first to put up the price.

12. is1111

is1111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    thanks maw appreciate your replies.
    cheers

13. is1111

is1111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    huge relief this morning as i cancelled my order with tiny. made me call another number after almost ten minute wait for them to answer call.
    they even had cheek to offer me a free wall mount as a gesture of goodwill not to cancel order.
    feel as if a huge weight lifted off my shoulders and now i can go ahead and find a good deal on a panny PW7 or the like.

if anyone knows of any other good deals for PW7's preferably 42" please let me know.
    tempted by 37" deal at shop at digital or a visit to richer sounds to see what they can offer but think i have heart set on a 42". Need to find more money!! :)

14. PADME02

PADME02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,I bought a 37" pw7 from Richer sounds for £999,totally impressed with it,plenty big enough unless you plan on sitting far away from it?I run Sky and DVD through a JS box,plus bought a second hand scart board for anything else I may want to plug in,plenty of boards around secondhand,just look in the classifieds or on Ebay.For the price,you won't do better than the Panny,but check your local Richersounds has stock,not all have,we had to travel to get ours.

15. is1111

is1111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    hi pamdme02 yes i seen richer sounds doing some deals on that screen think i ill give them a call to enquire, they have a shop not too far fromme inglasgow.. shop at digital got a good deal too on this screen but think i have my heart set on a 42". need to keep searching for a good deal.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    as you are in Bonny Scotland give these guys a call http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/ may be able to sort you out a deal.....also see this thread for how to connect it all up........http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154292

17. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I will very surprised to see ANY prices on Plasmas going up!

Dealers and Manufacturers can squeal and scaremonger as much as they like BUT there is one thing certain - prices will keep falling!

Don't let anyone on this forum or elsewhere scare you into thinking otherwise.

Just re-read this thread in six months time and have a good laugh!

HD ready 42" HD Plasma TVs from Panasonic will be sub £2500
    HD ready 42" SD Plasma Panels from Panasonic will be sub £1500
    HD ready 42" SD Plasma TVs from the Koreans and Chinese will be sub £1000

Any manufacturer straying outside these price points will either be selling small volume elitist stuff (Fujitsu, Pioneer?) or will be deluding themselves (Sony?)

The likes of Panasonic, LG and Samsung will continue to slog it out in the marketplace.

Gussie :)

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I hope you are right, it's good for my business to have low prices. My wholesales are up 8% over a month.