1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Novice requests help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Judgey, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Judgey

Judgey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    May I start by saying that I have already learned a hell of a lot reading through these Forum pages, while waiting for my TV to be delivered, so thanks to everyone who has contributed.

I have just taken delivery of a Hitachi 42PD3000 after reading many good reviews of it and seeing it at a local store.
    I have my DVD Recorder/Player plugged into AV2 Scart RGB and movies via this look fantastic (After I replaced my knackered old Scart Cable).

The issue I have is with Analogue/Digital TV Broadcasts. The picture seems to be very grainy and noisy (Variable), with bright colours being particulalry affected. I have changed the settings as advised on some threads, so the Contrast & Brightness is much lower than default. I was wondering if it was likely to be the settings causing this or maybe the connections (Have the Nokia Freeview box plugged into AV1). My old Sony KP41DS1 iDTV had great pictures from both analogue and digital, so it's not down to poor reception.

I know that Analogue signals are not the strongpoint of Plasma, but all the other sets I have seen displaying a Freeview signal, have not been as noisy as this.

Any help and suggestions would be handy.

Cheers

Judgey

2. Judgey

Judgey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have replaced the Scart Cable between the Nokia 221-T and the TV and also replaced the generic RF cables between the various components(Nokia - DVD Rec - TV) with decent shielded types and this has improved the situation slightly. I still have a plain old RF running some 20ft from my Aerial Socket to the Nokia and am looking for a replacement for this.

I have also sent off for the THX Glasses, so I can configure the set properly using the THX Optimizer found on certain DVD's.

Its all good fun really.

3. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sometimes bringing the sharpness down helps. Essentailly, you can get ringing from having an artificial sharpness bringing in detail that you don't have in the original source. Extra bandwidth at the expense of signal-to-noise ratio (sorry for getting technical!).

You could also try adding ferrites to the input cables, especially around the Freeview decoder. This helps reduce the noise on the cables. Changing the co-ax aerial leads can help too, a friend changed all of his to satellite co-ax and this gave a significant improvement.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

4. Judgey

Judgey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for that symanski. I have replaced all the co-ax aerial cable now, with high quality shielded ones and this has improved things.
    I also used the THX Optimizer (Apart from the bit requiring the blue filter - awaiting delivery of glasses) on Finding Nemo to set the picture up and have to say that I am happy with the picture now, seem to have a lot less picture noise.
    It seems strange how the default settings on Plasma screens are set by default to be way over the top for realistic viewing. The brightness and colour were so high it was almost painful to behold.

Finaly, excuse my ignorance but what are ferrites.

Cheers

Judgey

5. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm sure you've seen the loaded lumps on cables, these are ferrites. They absorb EM interference on the cables.

All the best,

John.