1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma - not for 'normal tv'

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by pmccreight, Sep 13, 2004.

1. pmccreight

pmccreight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got an LG RZ-42PX11 two weeks ago.

The set physically looked very impressive in the showroom with a nice black outline around the screen to draw your eye to it. Picture quality (Finding Nemo DVD…seems to be the standard for showing the screens at their best) looked every bit as good as the Philips, Panasonics and various other brands around it. I went for the LG based on its looks, price (it was on sale) and the success of other LG products that I have.

When I got it home and hooked up all didn’t go well. The picture displayed by Sky Digital was terrible and to be honest the DVD playback was not much better. I later found out this effect was called ‘posterization’ and was normal on all plasma screens.

A trip back to the purchase shop and several other suppliers and asking them to switch on ‘tv’ confirmed that ‘normal’ viewing quality of these screens was poor.

However a visit to a small independent shop informed me that the circuitry inside plasma screens is not designed for television broadcasts or cheap to medium DVD players (they don’t you that in the high street stores) but are rather optimised for connection to a PC via VGA or DVI. They also informed me that the LG RZ-42PX11 would perform very badly with Sky and DVD when connected with Scart, as none of the three-scart sockets are RGB.

There answer was something called an ‘Up Scaler’. They explained it takes the input form Sky or a DVD player and basically doubles the number of lines the picture has and then outputs it to the 15 Pin VGA port (only port marked RGB) on the LG RZ-42PX11.

The result in store on a Samsung 42’’ was ‘night and day’. Up Scaler off – and picture was like my LG, colours mucked all over the place. Up scaler on and picture was excellent. The device was called a ‘Zinwell Brite-View Progressive Scan Scaler’. They offered to sell me one for £299.99 but I have found them cheaper online – the cheapest being £199.99 for a brand new one being offered on eBay. I have ordered one and it should arrive tomorrow. I hope it makes the same difference as it did the shops display model.

If it does or indeed makes no difference, my question to the world of Plasma/LCD sellers is that why buyers are not told of these issues and the steps that need to be taken and most importantly of all – that when purchasing a Plasma/ LCD its not really designed for ‘normal tv’.

2. Tonester

Tonester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's a kind of snobbery that has hung around since plasmas could only be afforded by the rich and famous who 'didn't have time to watch ITV' etc.

I find the pictures in stores to be confusing - some are hooked up to high quality DVD, some to standard aerial and occasionally to Sky. The staff at Curry's/Dixons/Comet don't seem to understand how this matters, or care to help you try other sources (perhaps they know anyone who has a clue is only there to view the picture, not to buy!)

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Cheap plasmas can't display many colours/light levels at the same time
    Cartoons usually have about 40 c/l on screen at any one time, no "banding"
    Real life can have over 40 similar c/l just in someones face, hence "banding"

This is why shops always display "finding nemo"

I was just reading a review on LG plasmas. "LG is to be praised on including DCDi by Faroudi on their plasmas, but unfortunately the display screens are so poor that no amount of video processing will make them look any better"

Currys/Dixons/Comet recruits are thoroughly quizzed on the products the company sells, before being hired. If they show knowledge in any of those areas, they are deemed "unfit for employment"

4. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'd be very interested to see how you get on with the upscaler.

I;ve got the 42VHA Fuji and am very please with the picture quality but do find the posterization problem on some (but not all) low quality Sky transmissions.

If it makes a difference I might be up for one.

Let us all know mate.

Cheers

5. pmccreight

pmccreight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What review/ source are you stating? I have read many reviews on LG plasmas, and like all brands they are VERY mixed. I have however not found one talking about the RZ-42PX11. Can you provide me details of how to find the review

many thanks

6. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    It was a technical review of makes of plasma rather than any particular model, and was very "techie", burbling on about matching colour temp to NTSC 6500k & basicly saying buy Panasonic, Fujitsu and Pioneer, avoid LG.
    It was also stating all the 50% hours ratings were wild guesses and we
    could expect a plasma screen to last anywhere from 4 years to 12 years.
    With 50% life unlikely to exceed 30,000 hours on any plasma.