1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Newbie

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gpalmer, Jan 14, 2005.

1. gpalmer

gpalmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

First of all can i apoligise if there is a thread like this already in the forum, but i've had very little success in finding answers.

I am a newbie to the Plasma and with the purchase of a new flat recently i have a lounge with very limited space so i've opted to look into the world of the wall mounted plasma. I'm planning to but my nice screen very soon but i need some help. I'm on a bit of a budget and i'm trying to find the right buy but to be honest i don't know what i'm buying.............please see the following questions.

1) I want to hook up my, PS2, DVD, Sky and Home cinema processor to the Plasma and wonder if all plasma come with Scart sockets.

2) Basically what is DVI

3) If Plasma does not come with Scart can i get a converter so i can still use my PS2 etc.

I know these are really basic questions but i'm lost in this world.

Regards

2. dave0523

dave0523
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    After doing many hours of research I went for a Pioneer plasma - you won't look back!

3. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

Right , lets adress the problems one at a time.

1) Not all plasmas come with scart inputs. The Panasonic pw6/7 range do not. These are panal models and you have to buy the input boards seperatly. However depeneding on where you buy them from, some will come with a free input board of your choosing. There are also Plasma televisons. This will be a plasma panel with the connections already built in to the panel or with a seperate tuner box with the connections on that. The Viera plasma from panasonic has a number of scarts and a componenet input on the back as well.

2)Dvi is one of the best ways to get the signal to your plasma from your dvd player. However the dvd player must have a dvi output and the plasma a dvi input.

3) You can buy various conveters to turn an rgb signal from a scart lead and send it to the vga input on the plasma. THis is usually done if you have a display panall instead of a plasma tv which comes with the inputs you need.