1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Newbie - Help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Synchro, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Synchro

Synchro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    Sorry to sound thick but I have just bought a plasma and I am not totally convinced Ive done the right thing.
    :(
    My problem is Sky i get a great variance in picture quality, especially football where long distance pictures the players look
    very blurred. Sometimes the picture looks like a PC monitor on the wrong dpi setting.
    DVD:s look fine.

Could it be my Sky box, its about four years old and only has one scart. ?
    Is scart the best way of connecting my plasma up ?

Any recommendations would be greatly accepted.

Many Thanks

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would be helpful if say what plasma

3. Synchro

Synchro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a Relisys RP4205S.

4. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry not sure about that one.

5. PlasmaLover

PlasmaLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a similar problem, and I started a thread yesterday.. Don't know if it will be any help but the title is:

Best setup with Panny6 (42"), Sky (not +), and Sony home cinema

6. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    read through the past posts it has been discussed extensively.

sky is compressed much heavier than DVD hence the difference in quality.
    make sure you box gives the best signal quality (in Services menu i think, although these values can be miles off so nag SKY to send you an engineer to allign your dish properly till you get good signal)
    then set your box to output RGB, get good scart cable and feed to your plasma. Also recommended to convert the signal using JS Technology box into component or VGA.
    Football is very susceptible to mpeg artefacts (i.e. small objects on large fairly monotonous background). You will see that close ins on players look much better than wideangle view. I'm afraid you may need an external scaler to sort that (read up on iScan, Lumagen, Faruja).
    Also, consider upgrading the box as some users reported much better quality through latest boxes then through the old ones.
    StooMonster is a user who claims his SKY output outperforms some of the progscan DVD players, read about his setup. He recommends upgrading power cables among other things.

7. /\/\j17

/\/\j17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is generally down to signal compression as deman77 states.

Some channels are more compressed that others, generally films are least and sports on of the most (before you hit the text chat channels that is).

Getting your dish spot on will help a lot - a leading high street electronics retailer will sell you a satelite finder for 30quid with gives you a very fast and acurate indication of signal strength and if moving a few mm (and we are talking mm here) make it better of worse.

If your dish is in any form of temporary or easilly accesible position this might be good for you (mine is free standing as I'm i'm in rented accomodation with a north facing roof terrace, but the sat.'s are very high in the sky so works just fine. does shift in the wind from time to time, but plug in the finder, 30 seconds wiggling and it's all back to normal withthe signal peaked again).