1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma New Generation

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by blackstone, Oct 16, 2003.

1. blackstone

blackstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just a laugh to start with. I am colour blind so before you tell this newbie to "go chase yer self" bear with me.
    Are all new plasmas onto their 6th generation i.e. does the term refer to the history of plasma technology or are Panny one generation ahead of the field and the rest a close second or what? I have decided to save my pennies and ditch CRT (thought about Sony 36" untill I visited this forum).
    When it comes the time to leap forward - and don't get me wrong - it's like buying a PC, technology moves on every 18 months or so, and given my affliction (see above) it leads to the divorce courts when I say green and she says naw you mean brown. Anyway always good for a laugh. Yours in sport. joe

2. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    The 6th generation of plasma refers to Panasonic. Pioneer is on 4th generation. In my opinion, the money you will spend on the Sony can more or less get you a better plasma from Pan or Pio...excpet if you have found a huge discount on Sony..

3. blackstone

blackstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for your reply. Panny are well ahead of the field, thanks also for other comments.

4. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Joe,

I'd take the 'generation' numbers with a pinch of salt. They're certainly not indicative of relative performance between manufacturers - a panny 6 certainly isn't 'two generations' (whatever that means !) ahead of either a pio 3 or 4. And some will argue that pio's are better than panny's anyway.

In fact, they're not even indicative within a range. I've seen some people comment that the panny 5 and 6 are actually, in some respects, not as good as the panny 4 !

When it comes down to the crunch many are within a gnats of each other and personal preference has as big an influence as technical specs.

5. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    There absolutely nothing like Panny is ahead of the field..! As mentioned 6th generation of Panny does NOT mean that 4th generation of Pio is behind. The number of generations is only relevant to a certain company's product and related to how many times they may have have come up with new models. In fact the Pio screens (forget the 4th gen) could be ahead that of Panny..

6. blackstone

blackstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry troops I did not really mean to infer that the latest (generation or otherwise) is always ahead of the field, if you get on that train then you will never get off.
    I have always gone by my own eyes and ears when buying a piece of kit and would not post if I did not also value the views of others so no offence intended.
    My current CRT is an old but reliable Sony KV-X2982U.
    DVD - Toshiba SD-210EB region free
    Yamaha - DSP-A595a
    As you can see from the above hardly the latest piece of tech' but it will have to suffice for a while yet.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Joe

As I tend to supply Pioneer or Panasonic I'll stick to generalising about those two product lines for now.

Pioneer generally have a product production life of about twenty four months per 'generation' - whereas Panasonic usually change models every twelve months; sometimes with only minor revisions and sometimes more major surgery is involved.

Pioneer have two Plasma Lines - MXE Plasma Displays (due to be updated around April 04) and HDE PlasmaTV (the NEW 04 models are just about to start shipping to UK dealers).

Panasonic have two Plasma lines (Consumer and Business Systems) that are further subdivided into Standard Definition (852x480) and High Definition (1024x768 or 1366x768).

The Panasonic line has tended to be evolved incrementally whereas Pioneer with the longer production runs have tended to make quite pronounced leaps - the latest Pioneer HDE Plasma TV's look to be setting a new standard for others to follow.

Best regards

Joe

8. blackstone

blackstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Joe

I am slowly getting up to speed with the every reply. Posts such as yours are very helpful and I also visited the tmfsolutions site.
    At this early stage it seems to me that you would need a budget of around 5K to take into account possible descalers, installation/set up, upgrade DvD/Video/Av player/leads etc. Hardly seems worthwhile spending 3-4 k on the plazy if source equipment is duff. Anyone care to enlighten me as to whether my budget is way off target.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Joe

I'm sure many would be more than happy to have £5k in the piggy bank to spend on a new system - you can spend a whole heap more if you like but you'll get a very decent system for that budget (you'll be pushing it a bit to have it 'installed' within your budget so maybe plan on a bit of DIY).

Best regards

Joe

10. blackstone

blackstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for your reply Joe. By the time I save that kind of money no doubt a 42" plasma with all the bells and whistles will be within a lower budget.