Plasma Myths

rudy

Standard Member
Reaction score
There are many myths about plasmas but these two always wind me up

:mad:

1. All plasmas buzz

2. Plasmas don't suffer screen burn any more

Don't think its just all plasmas that buzz - anything electrical buzzes. Any transformer will create heat and noise to a greater or lesser extent. More expensive AV equipment uses toroidal transformers which eliminates the buzz below audible levels, but not sure if any plasmas use them due to size restrictions. Agree with the screen burn myth though.

People keep telling me that you have to have plasmas regassed in 3 years

not true I assume?

Norbert666 said:
People keep telling me that you have to have plasmas regassed in 3 years

not true I assume?

I heard that from just about everyone I knew when I bought one, I just don't know what it means. I have this mental image of guys in decon suits feeding hissing pipes into the back of the set.

it's amazing how people who know nothing about plasmas always think they know this!

acrmorris said:
Don't think its just all plasmas that buzz - anything electrical buzzes. Any transformer will create heat and noise to a greater or lesser extent. More expensive AV equipment uses toroidal transformers which eliminates the buzz below audible levels, but not sure if any plasmas use them due to size restrictions. Agree with the screen burn myth though.

No!! :suicide: What I'm saying is plasmas don't all buzz(mine does'nt), though people with this affliction can sometimes convince themselves its normal

I've read other peoples comments on their plasmas not buzzing at all, even when they have it strapped to their heads, but nobody will ever convince me that a high voltage electrical appliance doesn't make some noise. It's schoolboy physics! :lesson: I believe that some plasmas make more noise than others whether due to construction, sound isolation, model type, cost, bad batch or whatever. If the noise is below audible level in normal use then :smashin: - that's the case with my Panasonic and I'm well happy with it. But with no background noise and my head inside the chassis, it buzzes! Anyone who says it doesn't isn't listening hard enough!

Why would you want to stick your head inside a plasma? :confused:

i never ever notice buzzing from mine, doesnt mean it dont happen but myself or any of my guests that have sat down and enjoyed the delights of me plasma have ever done so
1. sitting with head against panel (tends to ruin the ideal seating position somewhat)
and 2. whatch it for a long period of time with it on mute and/or in complete silence (tends to ruin the idea of the surround sound kit i brought)

:)

OK, you've got me - I've never actually stuck my head inside a plasma :D .Just making the point that if you get near enough to any electrical components that change voltage by induction they buzz.

rudy said:
There are many myths about plasmas but these two always wind me up

:mad:

1. All plasmas buzz

2. Plasmas don't suffer screen burn any more

Some people pay good money for a Buzz ;)

Plasma myths (continued):

3) The size of your screen is inversely proportional to the size of your . . . (looks at his 50" screen and stops there)

4) That anyone who has a screen more than 3 inches off the floor is a raving lunatic without a clue. (it is actually 5.34 inches)

5) That the only benefit of HD is going to be the Sky+ (what no PAL/Xbox360/PS3/HD-DVD/HD camcorders ?)

6) if you don't see a problem with a particular plasma then everyone else is imagining it

7) if you have a problem with a particular plasma then anyone who doesn't is a drooling lunatic

8) MAW loves HornyDragon. He doesn't. (can you put the gun down now MAW?!)

9) Panasonic are deliberately holding back supplies to the UK. (This is absolute rubbish, they are only holding back YOUR panel)

10) That a month after you buy your panel, a new and better one will be available. (Again this is absolute rubbish, everyone knows it is the day after)

11) That a partition wall can't hold a plasma. (It can, you only need 2 screws and a bit of blue-tack)

R.

I have heard of the one they call Horny Dragon. Is he folklore?

(ie i have'nt seen him on this board for an age)

whats all this about horny and MAW then?

MAW said:
Course I love Horny! You gotta be dead careful though, one bad move and your moustache catches fire.

:D

Yeah, he can have his David Banner moments :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom