Plasma Mounting Height

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by danumudu, Nov 18, 2002.

1. danumudu

danumudu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The usual advice is to have the centre of the viewable area at eye level for normal viewing. I guess most of us watch TV sitting down so is this what most people have done, or have they mounted them higher up (as in shops etc)

cheers

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    It's still a telly. Mount it at whatever height you had your CRT (if poss.)

3. bluebear

bluebear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    danumudu,

I have mounted my Panny D4 above the fireplace 50 inches from the ground.

I am viewing it from about 10 feet, and It did seem a little too high at first, but I think it is OK at 50".

It would be better if it was lower, but I got my heart set on a fireplace.

I haven't yet fitted the fireplace, but fire surround I was thinking of using are about 42 to 45 high.

Hope this helps.

Bluebear.
    :D

4. MichaelJP

MichaelJP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A lot of people seem to mount them above the fireplace in the position where a mirror or picture traditionally went.

This position strictly speaking is too high for comfortable seated viewing, but for many UK front rooms it's the most convenient location to fit a big wallmounted screen.

- MichaelJP

5. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I mounted mine so the centre of the screen was just above eye-level when seated. A bit higher than a normal tv would be, but I wanted to get the "picture-frame" look without it being too high, and I think its just right.

It's really going to depend on how far away you sit etc.

I drew the plasma dimensions onto the wall before I started - to get the feel for how it was going to be to watch - try that or stick an appropriately sized bit of paper on the wall to test.

6. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Hi,

Ive mounted mine just a metre above the floor. Its highter than my old CRT 32 inch w/s was, but its not too high (yet) Only mounted it yesterday!

We felt that our TV was slightly too low. WE wanted the plasma higher, so that we could sit in the sofa, and look up slightly, part of the 'true cinematic experience'

I have a picture mounted in another thread if youwish to see!

Adrian

7. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Eye level for me. The penchant for mounting above fireplaces never appealed, as I would struggle to be drawn into the experience if I was craning my neck so much! :D

8. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    if its slightly too high, most of the wall mount brackets allow you to tilt it slightly don't they? if this is the case higher up tilted down sounds quite good, how do you run the cables if you have a fireplace below though? some pics would be good to convince the other half that the 36" tv is too big and we can't live without the nice new discreet tv!

9. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  10. martintyler

martintyler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant understand the people that talking about straining their necks etc. I chose to have my plasma at 110cm from the floor, i dont have a fireplace, but this is probably about the height it would be if there was a fireplace under it.

When sitting on my sofa (about 11-12 feet away), sitting comfortably, my head it looking slightly upwards naturally, it is no strain at all. Look at a normal CRT height would be looking down my nose, or bending my neck downwards to look directly at it.

Are you people who say it is too high actually talking from experience or are you just used to your CRT's (or something at that height) and think higher would be worse?

Having it at a good height also allows the centre speaker to be at a better height.

Martin

11. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I am used to having a screen at eye level. If I mounted the screen above my fireplace it would almost reach the ceiling, as do some of the plasmas in the thread with pics mentioned earlier. I could not watch like that for long at all.

To me it seems like many people want the novelty value of a 'picture frame' TV and are prepared to suffer poor viewing positions to achieve this objective. I have mine stand-mounted on an AV rack which positions the centre of the screen perfectly at eye level, just as I would hope to achieve with any screen.

I am not saying that a bit higher would be detrimental, just that some people seem determined to highlight the 'hang it on the wall' novelty at the expense of common sense.

12. bluebear

bluebear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my D4 mounted above the fireplace (50 inches (127cm) from the ground).
    I did think it was too high first, but I have got used to it now, and we don't get neck strain because you sit back into the settee with your head just touching the top of the head rest.

My Old Sony 25" TV was about 3 Feet off the ground before so the D4 did look odd at first.

I have spend the whole weekend, fixing the D4 onto the wall mount above the fireplace and running all the cables in the wall.
    My main problem was that the gas pipe runs down the length of the whole wall on the right hand side of the D4, so I have to reroute all the cables from the other side of the room to the Left side,
    and moved my Hi-fi setup to the left.
    My friends and family thought I was barking mad going to all the trouble, but everyone says it does look great,
    I will post pictures when I have finished it all.

The main reason for my troubles is to ensure that the screen is front of you and all the speakers (5.1) are in the correct places, and I have my fireplace.
    (I have mounted the Centre speaker above the D4, about 6 inches from the ceiling and it sounds very good)

Just waiting for the plaster to dry so I can re-paint the wall, but it looks awesome !!!!!

I view it from about 10 feet, and its looks bl**dy fantastic now.

I do agree with people who say they prefer it at eye level,
    I wanted to free up the floor space and I always wanted one of these old Victoria fire places.
    See attached Picture:

Bluebear.

Attached Files:

13. MichaelJP

MichaelJP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think 110cm isn't too bad, but a lot of fireplaces would force you to have it at 150cm+ which is a bit of a neck-strainer IMO.

Thinking about it, in the Victorian "golden age" of fireplaces, when they really were necessary, it would have been the centrepiece of a lounge, just like a plasma is now. That's why the fireplace position is often the best location for a TV.

So why don't you fireplace lot get rid of your fireplaces, put the plasma where it was, and play a "coal fire effect" screensaver for those dark winter evenings:)

- MichaelJP

14. bluebear

bluebear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MichaelJP,

Like the idea about playing the "fireplace movie" or you could turn it into a Fish Tank!

My problem is I want both, the glow of a gas fire with the lights Off, whilst watching a DVD on the Plasma and listening to it via my Dolby Digital 5.1 setup.
    I don't know if it is going to work, mixing the Old with the New, but its a bit late to change my mind...

I not got the fireplace fitted yet, as I can't afford it because I have just got the D4. But I am hoping to get it next year sometime.

Regards,
    Bluebear.
    :D

15. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spent a year thinking maybe the plasma would be too high. Mine is 54" above the fireplace. I sit 10 feet away and there is no straining of necks, not one person has said it looked too high.

You don't really know until you have put it up. But I am more than happy with it. And so is my partner.

James