1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

plasma madness

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by randomcdg, Jan 19, 2005.

1. randomcdg

randomcdg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello chap's
    Ive just received my brand new samsung PS42D4SXX yesterday but i seem to be having problems, now firstly the screen was not cheap and i didnt think that when i got it home and connected my 'sky+' via decent scart and 'sony dav550' via shvhs >scart that i would be having these problems such as solarization, blurring and generall 'crapness' of picture. Ive been reading threads around this site and now it seems like im gonna have to fork out another rake of hard earned coin for something called a 'scart sync seperator' or even scarier a scaler. Is this right or am i doing something wrong, only it feels like ive paid out 2g and got half the picture quality of my old 32"sony wega. PLEASE could any wise soul give me guidance on my problem .Cheers hopefully RANDOMCDG :lease: :lease: :lease:

2. Chuey

Chuey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are so many threads on the lack of PQ with plasmas and Sky etc. When I got my Pioneer today, I was surprised to see how good it was with Sky and a 8 years old DVD player with only a S-video connection. My 32" Sony Wega is better still but I like the size increase to 43"!! :D

You should have bought a Pioneer 435XDE...

3. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you buy the plasma?

4. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    solorization is something that a plasma will suffer from in variyng degrees. Even the best set up plasmas will have difficulty in matching a good crt for quality of picture, However, a lot of crt televisons have problems that plasmas dont . I bought a Panasonic Viera plasma and once properly set up gives a very good picture indeed.
    Some things you could do to make the picture better are,
    Reduce the brigtness and contrast settings. If you have a starwars dvd you can use the THX optimiser on the disc to help you with this. If not It may be worth investing in a copy of digital video essentials on dvd to help set the picture settings.
    Did you get a demo of this plasma befor e you bought one? If so how does it compare to the one you saw?
    If your dvd player has RGB playback try using thios instead of svideo. If you want to up grade the dvd player , get one with componenet outputs that will allow progresive scan on the plasma.
    I am afraid that sky does look a little rubbish on a plasma due to the way it is broadcast. depending on what make of diplay you have it will vary in quality.

5. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I am too looking at the vierra, what is the PQ like with Sky+

6. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    never use composite or svhs on big screen high quality displays, always use ATLEAST an RGB scart cable attacted to a RGB compatable scart socket, be warey as some scart cables and sockets only transmit composite or svhs

better still use VGA, component, dvi-d/i or HDMI the latter three being digital and the best.

also make sure if your using scart that the port is configured for RGB in the tv menu, and the sky box menu

I remember when I first got my american gamecube, svhs was awful on it because the colours were to strong, however svhs on my n64 were fine. but still... svhs is rubbish ditch it if you can

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  8. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See this thread:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180333
    The Samsung doesn't have a great picture which it comes to motion and dark images. I used to own one before it broke down on me twice. These are problems that aren't going to go away with a scaler or better cables. If you really hate the picture quality, take the plasma back and buy a Panasonic or Pioneer.

Here's my mini review of the Panasonic PWD6 in comparison to the Samsung which I sent to Hornydragon:

Well the Samsung's main flaw was th horrible 'drag' of colours with pans. This was primarily with smooth pans or objects moving steadily along the screen. It was most apparrent on the XBOX/PS2 game Pro Evolution Soccer where the different shades of green on the pitch left inch-long red, fuzzy edges whenever the camera would move left or right. I had both consoles connected via component by the way! My brother played on my new TV and his first response was 'Your Samsung TV was ****! This looks WAY better!'. He's right, it looked very bad on the Samsung! The most annoying thing was it was also very apparent on flesh-tones, but luckily you don't often get these kinds of pans on people (except for example when the camera sweeps past all the players at the start of a footy match!).

The Samsung also couldn't display as many colours so the fine texture of the pitch in the Pro Evo game was nowhere near as detailed as it looks on the Panny. There was also a bit of banding here and there on sunsets etc. It also suffers with dark scenes with fine detail becoming lost and lots of green dots everywhere.

Oh yes, the DVI-D connection didn't work with my Apple Powerbook or my PC. Someone else also found this problem. I guess it's not meant to work with computers.

However, from a distance, the screen was acceptable, and through component DVDs did look very good. It handles scenes in the daytime much better than night-time ones. I think if all you're going to do with the screen is watch DVDs through a decent cable then the screen won't be too disappointing. Just as long as there isn't too much panning, the screen holds up well! Cartoons looked very nice too, my Akira DVD was very impressive on this screen. Also the blacks were very black, it's a shame you lost as much detail as you did with really dark scenes. Their DNIe was crap and DNR (dynamic noise reduction) was not really needed on any of the signals I fed it. I just left them off. DNIe just sharpened everything up way too much and you loose a lot of definition and colour gradient. At first glance it looks much sharper but it's really just an illusion, you're losing more than you're gaining.

The Panasonic really blew me away. I put on my Fight Club DVD which suffered the most on the Samsung with panning and dark scenes left and right. The PWD6 perfomed like a champ! The dark scenes lost no detail whatsoever and flesh tones remained lifelike no matter what the camera was doing! No 'drag' of colours, no fuzzy red borders and green dots not visible from 6 feet away. Then I tried my Bug's Life DVD which had plenty of banding with the wide, open blue skies on the Samsung but yet again, no such problem on the PWD6!

When it comes to games, they look SO much better, it's very impressive. Halo 2 looks so much more defined, there is so much more colour and no more grey/green dots fuzzing around dark areas. Now I can not watch Pro Evo without cringing every time the camera moves! Even simple things like title screens look much less grainy along the edges (big logos for example).

Sky+ Through the Scart socket is much better than the Samsung but I get a lot of compression artifacts around the edges. I think this has to do with Sky and not the TV though as it's worse on some channels than others and I got the same thing on the Samsung. I don't have the JS box so I won't be able to tell how much better Sky can look until I do!

The Samsung could be tweaked A LOT more through the service menu though, the Panny seems quite limited in what you can alter with regards to the picture. But then again, there is not much I need to do! It looks so good right out of the box!

Oh yes, let's not forget that the Samsung broke on my TWICE! Within 1-2 weeks of standard use I had it replaced. When it broke in exactly the same way the 2nd time I got that refund and bought the PWD6. I haven't had the Panny very long but let's hope it lasts longer than a sea monkey!

Oh yeah, the Panny remote control is a bit dull, the Samsung one was prettier ;)