Plasma looks better than LCD. Next step?

sean5302

Ex Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit stuck now.

I bought a Pioneer PDP 507LX from a fellow AVF member today.

It is vastly superior in PQ to my top of the range Panasonic TX32LXD500 lcd tv.

I thought lcd tvs were technologically superior to plasmas. At least 1 generation ahead.

Problem.

Backlight bleed, overall picture quality, perceived quality of constructional components :

The plasma is better built and displays a better picture by eye.

Pioneer has given up and turned to one of the cheapest decent manufacturers, ie Sharp, for their future ranges.

All Pioneer lcd tvs have Sharp panels. What a disgrace. Where do I buy next?

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say? Do you want a smaller TV?

For my eye with a bigger TV, Plasma's are far superior.

No i think he means that the best has now gone, so how do you go up.

Well there are new technologies coming that may help, its rare for advances to stall completely.

Without being rude, there are already far better plasmas out there than the 507 Pioneer and the LXD500 LCD.

By best i mean Pioneer in general rather than a specific model.

I'm a bit stuck now.

I thought lcd tvs were technologically superior to plasmas. At least 1 generation ahead.

Problem.

Backlight bleed, overall picture quality, perceived quality of constructional components :

Pioneer has given up and turned to one of the cheapest decent manufacturers, ie Sharp, for their future ranges.

did you mean to post this in the LCD forums?

Sorry if I wasn't being clear.

I mean that Pioneer have stopped making plasmas, as did Sony and Samsung a year ago.

It seems that there is only Panasonic left, so what will I replace my 507 with in a year or two?

I was hoping LED tv might be OK but I viewed a Samsung LED backlit LCD in Currys and was not impressed by the colour variations. A green car going into a tunnel was seen to change colour markedly.

I suppose I could get one of the last Pio models, a 5090 or something. Would there be much improvement over the 507?

Am I missing something Sony have never made Plasmas, Samsung have just launched a new range of Plasmas, Pioneer are in some sort of deal with Panasonic regarding their plasma technology. I may be wrong, if so I’ll get my coat.

Pioneer are still stocking till March 2010.

Sorry sean5302, I don’t get what your trying to say.

Am I missing something Sony have never made Plasmas.
Last week i read a thread (rhyme!) where someone had a problem with their Sony Plasma Monitor.
I got a bit confused, until i read it properly:rolleyes:;)

Am I missing something Sony have never made Plasmas, Samsung have just launched a new range of Plasmas, Pioneer are in some sort of deal with Panasonic regarding their plasma technology. I may be wrong, if so I’ll get my coat.

Pioneer are still stocking till March 2010.

Sorry sean5302, I don’t get what your trying to say.

Sony have indeed made a range of plasmas in the past.

Sony have indeed made a range of plasmas in the past.

Right so Sony ventured into plasma for public purpose display in 2007 (monitors only not with TV tuner so of little relevance :boring:) Samsung still make new plasmas.

Sorry still lost. :rolleyes:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
wow! That really looks nice like the current X series LCD
Shame they don't make it anymore:(:nono:
:lease:Sony

I think Panasonic could take some lessons from sony for styling, especially in the lower end series: G15,G10,X10 etc
Sony's tvs look good throughout their line, i was almost going for the S5500 until Monarch said it was rubbish for SD and was £110 more than the X10

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
wow! That really looks nice like the current X series LCD
Shame they don't make it anymore:(:nono:
:lease:Sony

I think Panasonic could take some lessons from sony for styling, especially in the lower end series: G15,G10,X10 etc
Sony's tvs look good throughout their line, i was almost going for the S5500 until Monarch said it was rubbish for SD and was £110 more than the X10

Personal opinion i guess, but I think the Panasonics are very nice, especially the V10 :smashin:

I think Sony products are either hideous (all Playstations), or incredibly dull.
The KDE-P42XS1 linked to above is foul.

Personal opinion i guess, but I think the Panasonics are very nice, especially the V10 :smashin:
Well i said the lower end tvs like the G10 and X10:)
Of course, the best, expensive ones do look better like the V10 and Z1.

I loved the PX70s styling though, especially as it's a entry level TV. PX80 was horrible and cheap, and the X10 is much better, but could be even more better:thumbsup:

Originally posted by TVbox
:lesson:

Well i said the lower end tvs like the G10 and X10:)
Of course, the best, expensive ones do look better like the V10 and Z1.

I loved the PX70s styling though, especially as it's a entry level TV. PX80 was horrible and cheap, and the X10 is much better, but could be even more better:thumbsup:

:lesson:

You sure you have seen a px80 very well? PX80s build quality is widely regarded as much better than the x10s.... certainly from what ive seen the nasty plastic finish on an x10 is not even a patch on the px80 build quality ( which was originally a much more expensive screen at launch than the x10 )

You sure you have seen a px80 very well? PX80s build quality is widely regarded as much better than the x10s.... certainly from what ive seen the nasty plastic finish on an x10 is not even a patch on the px80 build quality ( which was originally a much more expensive screen at launch than the x10 )

being more expensive at launch does not mean it's better. all these products prices are going down day by day.

x10 is better than px80. what do u need the most from a tv? it's the panel. x10 panel is better than px80. Period.

I'm a bit stuck now.

Problem.

panasonic's Z and V series are probably using Pioneer's technology. so u'll be ok if you can afford the Z. :).

What was pioneer's problem? too expensive. and they can't cut prices, because they have high inflexible production cost. That leads to their demise. They don't realize people don't have unlimited money.

Last edited:
Its an assumption...

An incorrect assumption.

Panasonic and Pioneer never got far enough into their planned cooperation before Pioneer pulled the plug on their tv business. I have seen both the V and Z in action and there is absolutely nothing to suggest that these sets are not all Panasonic and simple evolutions of Panasonic's 2008 models.

You sure you have seen a px80 very well? PX80s build quality is widely regarded as much better than the x10s.... certainly from what ive seen the nasty plastic finish on an x10 is not even a patch on the px80 build quality
I'm talking about that horrid matt arch at the lower end of the set, it's so cheap and the speaker grilles look like some kind of Technika rubbish:rotfl:
The PX70's design was very good, shame there was no front/side mounted inputs, but fortunately a swivel stand, wonder why pana dropped their swivel stands:confused:
The PX70 has a juicy 3 Scarts while the PX80:thumbsdowhas only 2. But at least i've got my trusty JVC 4 way box:smashin:

The x10 looks more Samsungy and more expensive look. Remote font is nicer and less nastier than previous versions, but that viera link button is kinda pointless when you've got viera tools:cool:

I'm talking about that horrid matt arch at the lower end of the set, it's so cheap and the speaker grilles look like some kind of Technika rubbish:rotfl:
The PX70's design was very good, shame there was no front/side mounted inputs, but fortunately a swivel stand, wonder why pana dropped their swivel stands:confused:
The PX70 has a juicy 3 Scarts while the PX80:thumbsdowhas only 2. But at least i've got my trusty JVC 4 way box:smashin:

The x10 looks more Samsungy and more expensive look. Remote font is nicer and less nastier than previous versions, but that viera link button is kinda pointless when you've got viera tools:cool:

The PX70 has only 2 scart sockets as has the PX80 and X10. The build quality on the PX80 was similar to the PX70, but there is a noticeable drop in build quality on the X10, especially internally.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom