1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Lip Sync Issue - How Big an Issue?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by themmings, Dec 21, 2002.

1. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    A question to the Plasma Forum:

How bad can Lip Sync issues be?

My main sources will be SKy+ and the Arcam DV88 Plus DVD player.

I will be buying a new plasma screen along with a new amp in Jan 03, but my question is this: given lip sync issues - should I look to buy an amp with an Audio Delay feature (Denon 3803)?

This is my first plasma, so I'm not sure how bad this issue can be, so the last thing I'd want to do is buy an amp without the delay if I'd need it?

If I don't have to spend out the extra cash for this feature then I'd obviously prefer not to.

Any feedback....?

Moderator: I have posted this on the Amp/Receiver section - but its a bit of a funny one in that it covers two sections.

Thanks

Tim :confused:

2. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I dont know if there are plasma lip sinc problems. There certainly are Sky lip sinc issues (something to do with compression I believe) Sometimes my Sky transmissions are well out. However when it's really bad I swith to terrestrialTV & when I swith back 10 mins later it's ok. I presume if I could tolerate it, it would have got better whilst watching. However any other input on this would be appreciated. It happens all too often.:(

3. YYZ

YYZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will get video/audio delay from every plasma because they are progressive devices with fixed pixel arrays so the plasma has to de-interlace and scale the incoming signal. The time it takes introduces a small delay between the video and audio, but I've never had any real problems. As STOWITBELOW says your more likely to notice it on Sky, perhaps because the panel has to do more work with the poorer signal but in the main I don't find it a problem.

4. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +409
    There will be a setting in the DV88+ that will compensate for the progressive output and introduce a matching audio delay ...

The sky lipsync problem is variable though ... guess it partly depends on channel compression ratios ?

I don't notice it much on my setup and my amp has no 'specific input' audio delay ...

rgds

Jon

5. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Jont, YYZ, STOWITBELOW.

Joe Fernand had also given me some useful insight into the Lip Sync debate.

So it seems like the DV88Plus will help compensate for certain DVD lip sync issues - but sky broadcasts will always be a problem.

I haven't got the option to switch to terrestrialTV - so I guess it deppends if I can hack it on Sky.

Anybody else any comments/advice on this?

Tim:rolleyes:

6. cadmeister

cadmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are a couple of other recent threads on this that are worth looking up. I'd say get a good demo on the closest match to your kit as so much depends on your sensitivity to lipsynch and no one here can tell what that will be. Personally I find that I notice it on most material including DVDs if I really look for it and it can be quite an irritation. For Sky I am hooking up my digital delay (I have alot of music gear too!) and setting it with 100ms delay to see if that compensates for the majority of sources.

7. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    With my NTL cable and Sony DVD and Sony 930 amp they are non-existent.

Neil.