1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

plasma lip sync - av receiver fix

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Numbskull, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Numbskull

Numbskull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok ive read on the forum about av receivers with a sound delay feature.

1. what is the name of this feature - so i can tell which receivers have this

2. is it possible to feed the sound from the amp back to the tv (ie sky optical to amp, lip sync fix, then sound to tv speakers - as i only like to use the speakers for movies and rather use the tv speakers for general tv viewing)

and 3. can anyone list receivers that have the sound delay function

cheers

2. vectrasri99

vectrasri99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the LG PX11 and with 3ms set in the service menu (default) there is no LIPS sync problems. The problems are SKY+ why well this is why:

DVD via digital into my amp with the "Audio Delay" set to 3ms (as screen) I get no lip sync problems.

SKY+ to TV via scart I have no problems.

SKY+ via digital out to amp I need 65ms of delay and even then it might have a problem. Tried this on my CRT with a delay of 62ms (plasma takes a extra 3ms to start generating image) and you can still get a problem.

Result is that SKY+ have serious issues with the DD out. They should have a delay themselves as people with amps that can't delay are in trouble.

PACE v2

M

3. Numbskull

Numbskull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i know i read about it somewhere on here, about using the amp to delay the sound to match the picture (cause the picture processing takes a bit more time on a plasma??? - sound is slightly ahead of picture, notably noticeable on close up shots of people talking)

oh and has any1 watched 24 on a plasma - why is the picture so bad?

can anyone help me out with the questions i asked earlier - look up :)

cheers

4. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    I've been tenatively looking at amps, and unfortunately the lip-sync delay feature is only present on the mid-high end range of Denon, Yamaha and Pioneer, so you are looking at amps in the £600-£1,000 range. It is not by any means a standard feature found on Home Cinema Amps.

The SkyOne picture has been very variable recently. Las Vegas on Thursday was one of the worst pictures I've seen on a supposed quality channel, and 24 last night, although not as bad, was quite poor. There are any number of reasons for this,

Firstly, there is a thread on the Digital Spy forums indicating that Sky have been experimenting with bitrates on SkyOne hence lots of complaints that recorded shows were taking up too much space on their Sky+ disks. If the current quality is what they have decided on I am appalled.

However, source material is a key factor, and an imported show from the US, will always suffer from a bad quality source, then, I guess NTSC-PAL conversion and so forth. There is nothing inherently wrong with Sky Digital, as some of the imports can look very good on CH4/E4 for example.

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    i have a yamaha rx v450 which is pretty low end (in price terms) as amps go (but actually very good) and it has the delay feature in the speaker settings menu...another option that I have heard peopel use is to adjust the distance settings of the centre speaker

6. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Be careful, AIUI, the ability to set speaker delay is all to do with the positioning of speakers, and not the same thing as lip-sync audio delay at all.

The lip-sync audio delay is the ability to set a master audio delay before the sound is output to speakers, to match the audio to video on the seperate viewing panel.

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    yes I know but it's a possible solution if you dont have the audio delay feature, albeit not the most elegant or successful :)