Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Plasma Life

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by dh140770, Jan 13, 2003.

1. dh140770

dh140770

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone.

I'm considering buying a plasma for my new home. Most likely a Pioneer??3MXE (dependant upon funds).

Worried a little about plasma life being around 30k hours, as we do watch a fair bit of telly, but I read somewhere on the forum that some screens have the ability to switch to a '1/2 power mode' that increases life to the order ot 60k hours.

Which plasmas have this, and what does it do. If we were watching in a darkened room for example would we notice the '1/2 power'. Or would it be suitable for displaying moving images (fed from a PC for example)

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i`m not sure about this 1/2 mode never heard of it,
    i think they/you mean , they quote as saying the life is 30 000 on full power maybe 60 000 on half i dont think this means power,
    what i think is 30 000 is on the full or factory settings ie contrast,brightness, the first thing you do when you get your plasma is turn these settings down half way or alot then in theory the plasma will last longer as the phosfur will not be getting heated up so much,

if that makes any sense

3. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not sure about 1/2 power modes but remember:

30,000 hours is still nearly 3.5 years.

The quoted figure is not normally the expected life of the plasma but rather "half-life hours" - after this many hours the screen is likely to be half as bright as it was when new.

CRT TV's dim over time too (albeit not at the same rate as Plasmas), it's just not commonly known or noticed.

4. dh140770

dh140770

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So is everyone expecting a life beyond 30k hours because they turn the bightness down and then just increase the brightness gradually, until the thing gives out ??

Also a few more questions.
    - Only place to mount for me is just about a little used fireplace, is this likely to affect the plasma too much if the fire was on ?
    - Does anyone else use the plasma to display 'scenic' images from a PC (in a kind of replacement for expensive artwork kind of way) ?

5. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think most people turn the brightness down anyway becuase factory settings are way more brightness than is needed. I guess over time the brightness may have to be increased, but I think the technology will be obsolete or getting that way before the thing dies - in 3 or four years time you will probably be buying a plasma for a couple of hundred quid for "the spare room" and splashing out on some sort of virtual reality holographic thing for the sitting room!:D

Yes, I do but not on a regular basis, just now and again. I have several slideshows of different artwork - the result is very impressive. I have also configured Winamp visulizations in time to any music I may be playing - very cool for parties etc.

6. dh140770

dh140770

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I do but not on a regular basis, just now and again. I have several slideshows of different artwork - the result is very impressive. I have also configured Winamp visulizations in time to any music I may be playing - very cool for parties etc

Cool :cool: OT---> So for parties you just use your PC as a Jukebox using Winamp playlists ? Do you have the PC in the lounge so you can control the tracks .. ? Basically i'm asking how you have it all rigged up ? (Cheeky I know but we're moving into a new house and i want plenty of ideas to consider)

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Sounds to me like you should check out the HCPC forum. You'll never connect with anything but VGA again, well, except DVI of course!

8. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dave,

Going a bit off topic here, but in answer to your question about how the PC is rigged to the Plasma etc...

PC in the lounge in a black custom case that looks nothing like a PC - no switches/drives/lights visible. I had to order a special quiet PSU and CPU fan to make it quiet enough to be in the lounge. Easier (if you can do it) just to stick a PC in a cabinet/cupboard then it does not matter about looks/sound.

Infra red keboard with integral mouse control attached (not easily got nowadays as most wireless ones are radio, but should be able to get). The reciever is on the end of a cable so if the PC is in a cabinet the reciever can be placed on top or somewhere.

As I also have a Pronto programmable remote control I can obviously teach it any keyboard keypress from the PC keyboard, which I can then use to control the basic MP3 playing commands or anything on the PC really.

I also got some macro software for the PC which allows me to perform intelligent commands, so a button on my remote will not just press a single key on the PC but do basic programming things like:
    ####
    if MP3 player software is running
    switch to mp3 software
    else
    start mp3 software
    end if
    issue a play command
    ###

You will find this kind of intelligence is almost a necessity when trying to control a windows PC with a remote. See here for macro software:
    http://www.iolo.com/

I also have another very useful bit of software for the Pronto remote which allows you to catalogue your MP3's and have alphabetical indexed lists automatically generated for your pronto remote - I can search for artists/albums/tracks etc. See here:
    http://www.theheartofthecorporatebeast.com/nudelist/index.html

I hardly ever use my CD player now as I can play any CD from the PC or even select mixtures by genre or whatever.

Takes a bit of time to set up but once you have it done it's done and very easy to update when you buy new CD's etc.

If you don't want to play MP3's through your PC you can still have the visuals - just connect your amp to the line-in on the PC soundcard and setup winamp to "play" the line-in (add a URL to your playlist of: linein://) - then anything you play on your stereo (CD's/radio is then visulized). Best vis plug-in for winamp in my opinion is MilkDrop.

Artwork etc is displayed using this bit of software:
    http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/

Let me know if you want further information.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Increasingly, laptops are powerful enough to run your home cinema and music, stylish, quiet and compact. Get an M-Audio sonica USB sound 'card' for your digital out requirements.

10. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Its pretty much a must that you should/will want to change the factory settings of the Plasma which will help prolong its life...however

30,000 Hours / 6 Hours viewing per night / 365 Days per year = 13.7 Years!

:eek:

Dunno how you feel....but I have a sneaky feeling you will be after summink new before then! :D

I know I will be :D

11. dh140770

dh140770

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the fantastic answers guys.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    In fact, life of a plasma makes CRT look a five minute wonder, mine's gone wrong 3 x under warranty already!

13. yasa22

yasa22
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My understanding was that average use of 8 hrs /day a plasma screen 'should' last approx 10 years.

The philips 42PF9964 has an eco mode that reduces the brightness and contrast. There is also active control which behaves in a similar maner.

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    At 8 hrs per day, you'd have 16:9 eyes surely! I barely watch 2 hrs per day I should think. Still, at 3650 days, thats only just over £1 per day, you can justify it to the Missus by saying it's actually cheaper than a sky subscription!

15. The Huss

The Huss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can buy a Porsche Turbo for less than a$ky subscription:D ...

at least one day, albeit some long time in the future you WILL make a final down payment on the porker :rolleyes: