plasma life

chris3801

Standard Member
Reaction score
i have always used lcd screens im now thinking about getting a 42inch plasma how ever my wife has the tv on from 8am till 11.30pm thats 15hours aday will a plasma last as long as an LCD ?

60,000 hours is quoted, that will last you about 10 years i believe (ive seen 8 hrs a day quoted as 20 yrs and i cant be bothered to do the maths!)? and even then it will be at half brightness of day one, so will still work. thats assuming nothing else inside fails, of course.

thanks for the quick reply..... my wife has said i can spend 2k on a plasma even no i earn the money LOL so aney advice on witch screen to go for would be a gr8 help :clap:

top 2 have to be panasonic 42pv500 or pioneer 436XDE. Other possibility is the panel only Panasonic 42PHD8. some people also like the Hitachi which I like the look of also, but just prefer the PV500. However a ward of warning there is serious shortages of Pv500's at the moment, however go into shops and read here and make your own judgement.

Chris - what criteria do you have? Must it be HD Ready or would HD Compatible be ok? Do you want a panel or would you prefer a TV, Panel is the modular approach and requires that you have or purchase AV Amplifier and surround sound speakers and that you use a set top box or Sky for a tuner. Have you seen any plasmas that you like?

Probably a good idea to work out what it is you need to spend your 2K on and try demo a few screens. There's a ton of info to sift through on here. We all have our preferences but most seem to gravitate towards Pioneer, Panasonic, Hitachi, LG or Samsung. With the first three getting most of the attention.

Tell us more about what you are after and I'm sure the helpful folks here will try to assist you.

im looking for a plasma tv altho i have an av reciver the wife dont like to use it. or shuld i say dont no how to use it altho i have shown her loads of time. i would like it to be HD ready an be able to put it on the wall. thats about it i think..

opps forgot to say i have seen one plasma that i did like the look of altho it was a Bush :suicide: the PQ was fair better than my LCD

if it has to be 'wife' friendly, it has to be really either the 42pv500/436XDE/pd7200 or even the Samsung :)

thanks i will take a trip to comet ' currys ' pcworld and dixons tomorrow see if aneything jumps out at me :)

I'd say go for a Panasonic PHD8 if you want to buy your own speaker setup etc. Otherwise a Panasonic PV500.

Both are HD ready, but the PHD8 might give you a better picture.

chris3801 said:
thanks i will take a trip to comet ' currys ' pcworld and dixons tomorrow see if aneything jumps out at me :)

The gruesome 4 :eek:

You could try a proper AV shop, that way they'll have a better range and have them set up correctly so you could then make you own judgement

chris3801 said:
thanks for the quick reply..... my wife has said i can spend 2k on a plasma even no i earn the money LOL so aney advice on witch screen to go for would be a gr8 help :clap:

Don't buy a BUSH one :smashin:

fifteen and a half hours of non stop tv....I cant help but think of our logo ridden tv channels

simon33 said:
Fifteen and a half hours! That really is an incredible amount.

no problem when you have two young kids. ;)

thats the only time I get to watch :D

i have 3 kids an a wife who loves ukstyle LOL i will go in to richersounds thats the onley place i no :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom