1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma life vs CRT monitor life

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Image Retention, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Image Retention

Image Retention

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most CRT monitors claim to have a phosphor life of between 12,000 and 15,000 hours until half brightness.

Compare this with the latest 7 series Panasonic plasma displays (60,000 hours), and today's CRT monitors look pretty poor.

Why then, do people worry more about image retention on a plasma than on a CRT? Surely if the CRT reaches its half brightness more quickly than even a budget plasma panel (20-30,000 hours), then a heavily used CRT will show signs of uneven phosphor aging (such as a start button burned in to the screen) well in advance of a plasma?.

But that never seems to happen on a CRT, they seem to age fairly evenly despite very static images.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    welcome to the AV forums (what i want to say is go away you muck slinging troll) I have seen many CRT sets with burnned in images.Did you spend 15 years working in the AV industry (even before The audio was stereo or TV 's were widescreen)? How is your "it never seems to happens on CRT "based on ,oh your experience of twenty sets or just a Matsui 14V1T CRT TV?

It seems that many post questions that past posts answer fully.
    There is a search feature. :suicide:

Posting new posts on these Topics should be banned .

re gassing
    screen burn
    Black bars top and bottom
    which is better RGB or composite etc
    Dolby digital vs DTS
    Plasma life span
    how rubbish scart boards on panasonic plasmas are
    how some are brand tarts

Hold on im wrong if we banned all that we would have nothing to talk about :devil:

3. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    what was that rant about lol
    did u just want to tell us you have wroked in av for years or something?

anyway my plasma has 60000 hour lifespan (or rather half life) which would equate to around 10 half years use (based on panel being on 15 hours a day)before the panel reaches half life, now in 10 years time my panel will either be a very large bedroom tv, a very large etch a sketch for my new born daughter or perhaps i cud use it to board up my shed window mmmmm,
    what im saying is the lifetime of the panels shouldnt really matter,were all here coz we like pretty upto date equipment unless u also have a betamax under your sky box etc too.
    so who on earth will still want our prize possesion plasmas in the main viewing area in 10 years time???
    a 10 year old tv in your living room? prob not hey
    anyway im off to play my amiga now then perhaps listen to my new tape i recorded on my yellow walkman, oh actually i must upgrade from windows 3.1 to windows 95! just gota make sure iv got 3 hours free to install all 12 floppy disks onto my monster 486 dx with a massive 8mb memory lol

4. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry i didnt reply sooner Krismci was listening to my Edison cylinder. :D

No the point i was making was if the original poster was really interested in Monitor life span he would have performed a search and found endless posts on the subject.

A person who has a Matsui 14" ctv asking about plasma life ? thats some upgrade! :rotfl:

Sorry i was in a bad mood all the family is at home and they are getting on my :censored:

I really am turning into a grumpy old :censored:

5. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Christ - I thought I was a grumpy sod! :D :)

6. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Microsoft released a new window version ? Why didn't anybody tell me that, been using 3.1 for many years now. I hope they included some kind of browser, my netscape is not being updated anymore....

7. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    mind u it is a bank holiday so a whole day of 400 odd channels of repeats to watch not surprised some of us are grumpy lol
    lets just try not to scare the newer members away
    first lets convince them to buy a tiny plasma withtherehhard earned cash 1st hahahaha i can be very nasty :devil: :devil:

8. Image Retention

Image Retention

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I honestly did not expect that kind of a response, clearly I am an idiot, with very little experience. Yes, my TV is a pile of crap compared with yours - which obviously means I have no experience or knowledge in the field; but for your information I'm hanging on to see what SED can offer before I make an investment in a large display.

Back to the point - I was not doubting any of your knowledge, I was simply asking a very simple question. I am also not a moron, I understand enough to understand what I'm talking about. Now if anyone wishes to make a sensible reply to my genuine question, feel free to do so. Otherwise, all I see is rudeness. Nice welcome.

My question is quite simply "Why do people in general (I'm not referring to this forum) worry about image retention on plasma screens (with a relatively long time to half brightness) when CRT computer monitors with a shorter predicted lifespan appear to be less affected by the issue" - as in; is it just hype that CRT's are better than plasma, or are they in fact worse. That's all I wanted to know. I thought that you guys might be able to answer that for me based on your own experience.

If I were trolling, I would have said maybe "Why do people worry? They're all idiots!" Which, I hope you understand, was not my intended tone at all!

:rolleyes: :oops:

9. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    matie, no idea what that was all about......however in my experience it is becoming something of a none issue with later generation plasmas....teh pannys for example claim to be as burn resistant as CRT and i was never particularly careful during the 'run in' period...christ even my tiny (long story) doesn't seem to be affected.

10. Image Retention

Image Retention

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to those that replied with useful info! :)

30,000 to 60,000 hours is fine by me, after all - who keeps their tv for 10 years anyway! Anyone have a CRT PC monitor that's retained the Start menu? I've never seen it, but if any of you have then I know I'm not going crazy. I used to work as a salesman (groan!) at a well known electrical store so I've heared all the myths about plasma and never really seen any damage apart from a Screen mounted in a UGC cinema that is about a year old and very badly damaged by uneven phosphor decay - while the CRT TVs there, displaying the same information (same age - they were put in when the place was new) don't seem to be damaged at at all.

11. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgive me Image Retention. I assumed (made an ass out of me) too much I thought with a name of image retention then a post about image retention and only nine posts you were stirring up the old plasma burn question which has been posted millions of time before on numerous AV forums. I wish to apologise and kiss and make up.
    The question you ask “Why then, do people worry more about image retention on plasma than on a CRT?”

Honestly I never have heard old ladies in the post office queue asking this or blokes in the pub getting worried about issues like this (council tax on the other hand).
    It’s normally jealous non flat screen owners telling you “oh I wouldn’t buy one of them mate because…..”
    In the early days the multiple stores didn’t sell these new flat TV sets and the amount of bull they told lives with us today.
    I genuinely have seen more permanent screen burn on CRT (normally with security cameras) Than on Plasmas. Having said that most people with the first generations of plasmas were careful owners and enthusiasts and understood potential problems the 50” Panasonic PW3 was £14,000 you’re hardly going to keep it on SKY news 24/7 at that price. Where as CRT computer monitors have been ten a penny for a while. All technologies are far more robust than in the early days of there life. Experience tells me treat anything badly and you can ruin it.

I agree SED panels are a very interesting subject and have been enquiring for some while about the Toshiba SED panel on display at CES in the US but no one, so far saw it.
    It seems a complex design at the moment and could be cost prohibitive.

Sorry from a bitter old man to a young student with all his life and beer ahead of them

12. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    LOL at the welcome

Well welcome anyway

I have had a Panny Veira for 2 months now and never ran it in, I used Dynamic mode for DVDs (now changed since the recieval of DVE), I also watched 2 football matches not long after I had it one after the other on SKY Sports and never saw any retention, My daughter also watched 3 hours of disney chanel the day we got it and we never had any retention.

Personnely I wouldnt worry especially on the panny, not sure about any others as this is my first plasma.
    I think the first screens may have suffered with this but now it appears to be more of a distant memory.

13. Image Retention

Image Retention

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys. I was trying to decide (based on what's around) whether I'm likely to go for plasma, (which has proven the test of time so far) or wait and see what SED has to offer). It's a year or two until I'm going to be buying though (university is costly stuff :cool: ) so I'm probably going to sit it out and see what happens a year down the line. I like the idea of a 50" 1080p display so that if HD becomes mainstream over the next few years, an upgrade won't be necessary. However, although the TH-PHD7 is at 1366x768, it might have come down to £2000 by then, and wouldn't look too bad with just an RGB/Component DVD or (RGB) Sky source.

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    God, someone grumpier than me! You will find the concensus that worrying about image retention is something for those with anal retention as a lifestyle. Your price predictions are highly unlikely now, there is a recent thread on that. Price freefall is apparently over, even Richer sounds are putting up their prices, and is it just me or are JL getting tougher about price matching? I have no vested interest here, I've been making next to nothing on plasma for a year or more, I earn money by installing them, and sound systems to match, as the net has shot a smoking hole in retail profits all round. Pioneer have recently announced they are backing out of the retail price war, LG and Samsung have both announces monster falls in profit, 94% less for those who like numbers. It can't go on, we all have kids to feed you know. If there's nobody left willing to make or sell them, the price will have to go up.

15. Agisthos

Agisthos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wait for SED. I have a Loewe Aconda and am not going to buy an lcd or plasma any time soon.
    If people pull their head out there ass for a moment they would realise we are paying a huge price for crap picture quality with the current thin panel tv's

SED could be the holy grail, crt image quality in a plasma sized panel, 1ms response times, 8000-1 contrast ratio. We will know by the end of this year exactly what the very first SED displays will be like and by late 06 early 07 the price should be reasonable ebough to buy.

16. Agisthos

Agisthos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The TV market is going the same way as the computer market, bugger all margins, not enough to cover costs e.t.c

I realise this is hurting people like yourself, but it is a boon for consumers who like to buy direct and cut out the service side

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    As I said, not a big problem to me, rip off profits are not part of any sensible business plan, it's a short term view. I put systems together for people who can't, mostly. The low price of plasma means more people can afford to have what I sell. It's the high st and the internet retailer who are hurting much more.