1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma life span? 3 years or 10?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jamiev, Jan 7, 2005.

1. jamiev

jamiev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    hi, please can someone tel me what the average life span is of a plasma screen?
    Assuming it gets used for about 4 or 5 hours per day ie: an average use?

how long does it take for the pq to distort?

are there different makes which difffer in life span?

:lease:

2. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have the Hitach 42pd5200 screen and
    they told me that if it was used 4-5 hours a day it would last 20 years.

I dodn't believe that but would be VERY upset if it doesn't last say 7 years, at which time we will be well into the next generation.

3. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Jamiev,

As plasmas age their maximum light output decreases. With the good ones we are looking at at least 10 years, assuming 5 hours use per day, before it will be outputting only 50% of the output when new. If they have been properly set up and not run at silly contrast settings the 50% point will come even later.

The PQ won't distort it will merely become less bright.

Piers

www.homecinemaengineering.com

4. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They last as long as a CRT, its a lot of scare mongering...imho

John

5. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    I thought there was a problem with earlt sets, but modern plasmas had solved whatever the problem was. Still, probably nonsense anyway.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Most modern screens are claiming 60 000 hours to the 50% point. That's a lot of eastenders in my book. I'd bet half the cast are dead by then too.

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    Ohhh, we can only pray!! ;)

Seriously, if you get in at 6.00pm and put the TV on until 12pm every night, you will get around 27 years viewing out of say a panasonic.
    I reckon most people could never turn it off and by the time they were looking to upgrade it would still have plenty of life left in it.

8. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi

I had one of the first Pioneer 503 HDE's for 2 years and after the first year I noticed a very visible decrease in brightness. By the second year it was clearly out of steam, it looked like the brightness level had been turned down 5 notches.
    I personally have now left plasma well alone and will wait for lcd to come to speed (which it looks like it may well have with the new sony) if all is to be believed in the press or wait for mini-crt flat panels.
    There no denying plasmas look good but how long is anybodys idea.
    It was on for about 7-8 hours a day and broke down only once (fortuneatley in the first year) as it was totally knacked. The unit was swapped out for a new one but if outside of warrenty I was quoted £4K to fix!!!
    So I would say an extended warrenty is essential.

CH

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    An extended warranty will not cover you for natural ageing of the TV. I'm sure manufacturers would not lay themselves open to legal action by publishing predicted life figures which were too far from the truth. The minimum life being claimed at the moment is 30,000 hours to half-brightness, which equates to about 10 years at 8 hours/day, and many manufacturers are now claiming 60,000 hours.

10. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Does anybody know whether Pioneer have made any such claims for their screens presumed life?

11. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I would imagine Pioneer would stick to 30k hours but they may have changed this by now. I might also point out the fault with my old plasma was a buzzy noisy transformer that went on to cause the screen membrane to breakdown Not a brightness issue. My point was that I felt and still do, that screen brightness does errode very quickly with plasma and that if a major fault does occur it highly likely the screen will be beyond economical repair.

CH

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well it does when they are run too bright PAnny state 60,000 hrs to half brightness ( but run in dynamic mode 15,000) HENCE TAKE IT OUT OF DYNAMIC MODE 5 hours a day or 150 hours per month assuming 60,000 hours means 30+ years to Half brightness

13. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Your plasma would probably get depression and kill itself watching eastenders.

14. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +513
    I use ther local gym where we have 3 42" plasma screens that are on for about 14 hours daily. After about a year and a half the colours appear to 'bleed' and the picture is not so bright. They have been replaced several times in the last four years. A faily severe test I know, but it proves they do die eventually. I think I'll stick to LCD. Interesting that at least 2 major manufacturers are dropping plasma production. :hiya:

15. njr

njr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what make were they?

The PW6 plasmas at heathrow airport Terminal 1 are on 24/7 and still seem to be perfect condition with no burn in after about a year.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    thats just poorly installed plasma that have been run too bright.......... that environment is ideal for Fujitsu HCA panels but they are pricey........ Also which manufacturers are dropping plasma production? SONY never made plasma but bought them in from samsung and Hitachi/Fujitsu so who else is dropping plasma? only Panny/NEC/Fujitsu-Hitachi (joint venture)/Pioneer/Samsung and LG make plasma as far as i am aware everything else is rebaged..........

17. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Yes please name them, Mike7 - we'd all love to know :rolleyes:

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I've been inplasma technology for over 5 years one way or another, Panasonic are definitely the most burn proof and therefore the least likely to suffer fade. Whilst I am a paid up member of the Pioneer fan club, they have been known to terrify me with 'gosting', temporary image retention, and they 'feel' more fragile to me in this respect. Very subjective, yes, no real grounds for it. They just chuck out such vivid colours, and so bright, I can't help worrying.

19. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba and Sony, although this has actually been denied by Sony.

Toshiba intend to phase out by 2007. Not sure about Sony, it depends on how competitive it can be in that field. Look at the news clip below...

http://investing.reuters.co.uk/stoc...&symbol=6702.T&storyID=45209+20-Dec-2004+RTRS

I don't think either company actually invested any real money into PDP screen R&D so the decision doesn't actually surprise me that much. Clearly Toshiba are banking on SED to take the world by storm and Sony are struggling to make money with Plasma since, like Toshiba, it doesn't make PDP displays and therefore cutting costs is very difficult.

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Well neither manufacture PDP so not a surprise really is it...........

21. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, true, but nonetheless they are major players on the TV market so it will make some waves, especially since it appears that Sony are the second largest plasma TV maker!

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    embarrassing and not profitable to buy panels in not when you make LCD and are researching other technologies (since when has SONY not done their own thing)

23. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Fair shout Mike! That's one in the goal for you! :laugh: :lesson: :lesson:

CH

24. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +513
    Re the dying plasmas - They are all Panasonics, but I have no idea what model. I did wonder if their apparent short life might have something to do with them being set fairly bright because of the ambient light conditions. At least 2 of them are subject to direct hits from bright sunshine for prolonged periods. Anyone got experience of this.

25. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    if they are running dynamic mode they will burn out fast.....

26. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    As Horny says, neither of these guys actually make plasma glass, so their decision may have more to do with finance and economics. Look at the price of Sony plasma TV's. Not exactly competitive are they? I very much doubt they are anything like the biggest maker, I should think that'll be Samsung or LG. After all what's the most popular car in Britain, a Mercedes or a Ford? Wherever you got that from, some HC mag no doubt, they should put some facts together instead of this kind of useless 'story'. Plasmas in public places are usually abused, nothing like how any rational person would use one at home. My local David Lloyd (hair still wet here) has Sony and Samsung gear supplied by a large multinational as part of a contract. It's all connected from RF2 out ona sky box, contrast and brightness set to max, aspect set to 4:3, interference lines, mono sound, real tasty install. They never even turn them off at night. Hardly surprising they have new ones every year. Wish it was my contract.

27. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  28. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    So there you are, they deny they are stopping and indeed are not the largest, Panasonic are. So the story is indeed not a real story, it's currently a fairy tale. I have no doubt that if we wait long enough it will be true, in 10 years plasma will be old hat I should think. In the mean time, in the real world, I can't quite make the connection with the complete fool bit, apart from being somewhat behind the thread, sorry. My browser was not displaying the 2nd page. I'm amazed that Samsung are not the biggest, they claim to have 22% of the world market. Another fairy story pehaps?

29. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did I say they were the largest in the first place???? And does it really matter? Since they are the second largest seller of plasma TV's then such news is indeed serious for plasma should it turn out to be true. The Sony denial is standard fare for large companies.

The fact they don't actually make PDP's is largely irrelevant - losing that sort of trade is bound to have a knock on effect for their PDP supplier and others may well follow suit. Time will tell, but I think this one will unravel as the year progresses.

The complete fool bit mainly refers to the fact you blew some hot air about Sony's position in the market place before actually checking what it was. Nevermind...

30. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Calling a well respected member such as MAW a fool is a bit rude in my book, afterall weren't Laurel & Hardy comedians???!!!!!

Hopefully you see where I'm coming from, name calling isn't usually accepted on this forum and apologies normally follow :lesson:

John