Plasma - LCD via RS232

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Isco 3, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Isco 3

Isco 3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi all,

I would like to hear which specific models you have used (that worked:D) without any problems.
    I can't find any info on which Panasonic displays have RS232 capabilities, and I do know that the Pioneers work great.

I am also interested in some smaller displays (26" maybe?) that will accept Rs232. I have heard that Sharp has some (?)...

It would be nice if you'd suggest something..:thumbsup:

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Sharp and Panasonic are the main ones, they do work quite well.

3. charris cy

charris cy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have used RS232 on pioneer plasmas and LG LCDs. The pionner was not easy. You have to go into some secret menus to enable the RS232 and by using RS232 you are disabling the IR receiver on the plasma. This was on a 6th gen model and I have somewhere documented what we did. I hope it is easier on the new gen models.Be very careful. Make sure you have the RS232 protocol document in your possesion before you order the TVs.

Generally I prefer to use RS232 on all the equipment we specify. It is musch safer to use than IR emitter and gives you access o more functions (e.g specific volume levels - useful on AVRs).

For IR I have found that the following brands have generally good discreet protocols: Pionner, Fujitsu, Sony, LG, Samsung. I have not tried panasonic, sharp or toshiba.