• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

plasma/lcd owners with ati cards in here please!

jedii

Established Member
So i bought a th42pz80 and thinking i had the ultimate pc monitor with super black levels i find out about rgb 16-235 and 0-255 doh! I saw a forum with others users getting really washed out blacks in desktop/games and it looked worse than a crap dell lcd i own and im dreading this will happen. I would much rather have crushed blacks and alter brightness.

with nvidia there is an option to flick between either rgb 0-255 FULL or 16-235 LIMITED but it only works on video/tv not games/desktop.

I need ati users of some of thier latest cards and drivers to tell me if ati have such a feature.i came across a post claiming "none of the cards ever do 16-235 for the desktop/games" and in response another forum poster claimed "All ATI cards can, either automatically via the HDMI dongle or using the desktop colour controls in CCC"

so could someone please check or experiment if its possible to alter the rgb space for games/desktop with ATI?

i would be forever in your debt........:lease:

Tkrockeruk

Established Member
Having a quick look at my ATi 3650 it allows you to change RGB colour temperatures, Hue/saturation, Gamma/Brightnes/Contrast,

jedii

Established Member
ATI Color correction options? - nV News Forums

guys could anyone with ati verify that they have such a graph and its fully working with the latest drivers?

does the top right on the graph alter the brightness of whites and the bottom left alter the black level? could anyone check for me its very important :(

just for bottom left click it and drag it along the bottom to the right slighty :)

stonking

Established Member
Jedii

I was about to buy a TH42PZ80 to connect to my PC with a ATI 3850 and know nothing about "rgb 16-235 and 0-255 " that you are concerned about. I just thought I would connect it by the HDMI connection. Why oh why do companies always make things so difficult. They must know that their customers would want to use their TV as a monitor as well. Think I best google rgb 16-235 and find out what this is all about.

Last edited:

jedii

Established Member
it means on a pc pure black is 0 on a tv its 16.

if u send the pc one to the tv then u get the shade of black which is 16 as your deepest black and trust me 16 is grey not black!

so im simple terms you get dull whites and washed out blacks.

the ati dongle apparantly takes care of this ive read but im not 100% which is why if ati have the colour graph to re map the black and whites its ok without the dongle.

RockySpieler

Established Member

if u send the pc one to the tv then u get the shade of black which is 16 as your deepest black and trust me 16 is grey not black!

the ati dongle apparantly takes care of this ive read but im not 100% which is why if ati have the colour graph to re map the black and whites its ok without the dongle.

There is also a colorspace issue with SD is expanded, and continued breaking of hardware acceleration in catalyst driver revisions.

I use HD2600Xt with ati dongle........SD & HD is good, on my Toshiba 42X3030D.........I use ex-Deus's tweaks.

Definitite ATI HD2400/2600 thread (where I look for help, many great general posts about colorspace):-

ATI Radeon HD 2X00 (2400,2600,2900) series owners thread - AVS Forum

ATI Radeon HD 2X00 (2400,2600,2900) series owners thread - AVS Forum

Clunk

Prominent Member

I fear Danny Baker will be knocking any moment with the Daz Doorstep Challenge.

I'll get my coat. Sorry - good luck.

Tkrockeruk

Established Member
Hi jedi, I have the colour correction options on my ati 3650

Thats the graphs for individual colours im referring to as your post shows

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom