1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma & LCD - Newbie Advice

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by tobyjuggler, Mar 12, 2005.

1. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I'm just starting to investigate the possibility of purchasing a new TV and am looking at either plasma or LCD, but I'm not clear on what the advantages and disadvantages of each are. I assume that LCD has advanced enough now so that blurred images on fast-moving action isn't a problem anymore and that colours have improved on plasma? Or does this kind of thing still depend on the price you're prepared to pay?

I'd mainly be using the new TV for watching DVD and gameplaying (Xbox and PS2). Which would you recommend for this? LCD or plasma?

My DVD recorder (RDXS32) has component out and everything else would use RGB (PS2/Xbox/Sky). Am I right in thinking that plasma's don't normally come with the inputs for these and that a board has to be bought separately? Is this the same with LCD too?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. leedavies

leedavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    We upgraded our 32" Sony CRT to a 30" Sharp LCD 6 months ago. IMHO, LCD is a pile of crap. Images look too digital, obviously "backlit", horrid smearing etc.

The LCD went back and was upgraded to a 42" Hitachi Plasma. Much better image, blacker blacks, brighter images and none of the "laptop-screen" effects we saw on the LCD. Having said that, the plasma is prone to colour banding on poor quality broadcasts (e.g. Eastenders - no loss there then!).

However, both the LCD and Plasma gave a cracking image when fed a decent signal (e.g. DVD, Xbox). Having said that, the LCD never showed a decent black - only dark grey. That sucked for most console games.

Plus, the LCD always looked more "digital" than the plasma. We just didn't like the LCD picture. The same goes for every LCD screen we have seen on display in stores. They just don't compare to plasma.

From what I've seen, neither technology is perfect. Or maybe it's just that we need HDTV before the screens can really shine.

Either way, LCD needs to improve a heck of a lot before I'll go near one again.

Now I'll step back and wait for the LCD boys to slap me... ;)

3. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    On the plasma forum? They wouldn't dare...

4. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Now, I would want to start a fight ;). Thanks for your input.

Ok, what about the various input options for plasma and lcd? Do they require extra boards to be purchased and fitted?

5. Tomo1971

Tomo1971
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have a Pio435 FDE and the same Tosh DVD recorder as you.

I have a Pace telewest STB into Input 1 of Media Box via RGB scart.

The Tosh is connected to Input2 of the MB via Component

STB is also connected throuth the Tosh also so to use the progressive scan of the tosh (and to record from it)

XBOX/ps2 connected to a multi-scart adaptor into Input 3 of the media box

Steve