1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma / LCD In A Conservatory ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by amservices, Nov 23, 2003.

1. amservices

amservices

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone have any experience, or have any thoughts about the suitability of using a Plasma / LCD in a conservatory. Was going to go down the route of converting a garage, but would quite like to use the conservatory for a Plasma or LCD if reflection / heat issues were not too problematical. Any ideas as to suitable models if this is a good idea ;)

2. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    If your conservatory is like most and added after the house has been built you will have 3 problems: too hot in the summer, too cold/damp in the winter and too much light/sun on the screen.
    You can reduce the heat by fitting reflective film on all the windows/doors and installing some ventilation.
    In the winter you would have to keep some kind of heating on permanently to ensure the temperature doesn't drop below, at a guess, around 15 degrees?
    Installing blinds will help to cut down on the light and sun hitting the screen.
    You will also need to look at the construction particularly where the roof meets the windows as usually there is a ventilation gap and this will allow too much moisture into the room.
    Finally you will need to soften the room as the hard floor and walls will not be good for acoustics.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I've installed one in a conservatory, the light washes the picture out just as you'd expect, so watching the F1 on a summer afternoon is difficult, but if you are not a Richard abd Judy fan, you may not have too much of a problem apart from sport, what's on during the day you'd want to watch? The lower light levels in winter make the footy etc not too hard usually. Whilst I am a big LCD fan, I wouldn't use one in this situation, it'll be worse affected than a plasma.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    As LCD particulkarly Sharp ASV panel are not glasss the reflect bugger all light!!! something like 2% of incident light. Plasma is glass and will act like a mirror!!!I would reconmend that the 30" Sharp or 20" 4:3 models would suit.!!!
    Depends on budget but see what you think.

5. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IF I were a scum bag house robbing git I think a plasma or LCD in a consevatory is a top idea. Easy to see, nice and light. Nicked before you know it.

Sorry to be so miz.

Rog

6. amservices

amservices

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The conservatory has not been built yet, but has included heating and ventilation and a tinted glass roof. It's going to be south facing as well :) Might go down the route of the LCD, but as I would be mostly watching it in the evening, as long as the plasma could take both extremes of temperature, I wouldn't be that bothered about watching it during the day. Take the point about the visibility to burglar's, but they'll have to get past the alsatian first :) and it will be mounted in the false wall created on the back of the house.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's not light reflections, it's the brightness of the image. Take a laptop out there and you'll see immediately the LCD picture goes grey.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Point taken but it happens with everything in high ambient light!

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes indeed, just LCD is worse than plasma, tried both in fact, finished up with plasma, but still as I said, no good for the F1

10. MCB

MCB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have had the Relisys 1720 sat in my Conservatory for the last 4 months. Everyone is correct that the amount of light coming in is much more than the average lounge, but this can be controlled if you fit roof and window Blinds. If you choose a dark roof blind, possibly with a reflective coating, then that would allow the amount of light and heat/cold coming into the conservatory.

Word of warning on Conservatory blinds, they aren't cheap. Depending on the size of your Conservatory, expect to pay in excess of £2000 for a decent quality system.

All in all, even though the picture is affected by being out in a conservatory, we find it is more than adequate for the type of viewing we do there. If we want serious picture quality. we use our main telly.

Was pretty sneaky though and manged to convince my wife that we should have a home cinema system in there as well (she just wanted the ability for DVD playback). Used the excuse that it would also allow cd and tuner to be available.

Good luck with the build!!

11. Dixie

Dixie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Convert the garage and put it in there and do a proper job.However you dont say if viewing is for tv only or films.If it is for films you will want the sound system to go with it which will be cr.p in a conservatory.Garages are usually the rite shape too(screen 1 end ,setee the other, subdued lighting etc etc).
    I personaly wouldn,t want to keep having to draw the blinds etc each time Eastenders came on. Also arnt 'CONSERVATORYS 'for people to av Pre-drinks in b4 din dins... teee heee