1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

plasma,lcd.hdmi..the future...help.

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by zamwessell, May 23, 2004.

1. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    After seeing the lastest Pioneer Plasma models,i was nearly won over due to the HDMI display from an Arcam dvd player.Then i hear there are new Plasma models due later this year....then i read the future is really in LCD...then i see larger Plasma models by Sony..then i hear of larger LCD models coming out too.

To put it another way...my head is a mess!!

The main reason for a larger display would be for movies..then sky+..then consoles.

Any advice anyone?

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well everyone is going to have their own views but here's mine...

LCDs are best suited to smaller displays say 32" or under...even better 17" or thereabouts.

Plasmas are really your only choice over 42".

LCDs at the moment cannot compete with the better plasmas (panasonic, pioneer, hitachi, fujitsu). They lack contrast, black is nowhere near black and they still suffer from motion blur due to not having a fast enough response time.

Plasmas are also not perfect. Panasonic's/Fujitsu's have a high contrast rating but, possibly, loose out in the finer details on dark scence. Pioneer's have a lower contrast rating but, supposidly, show more detail. Hitachi's I've never really looked at but am put off by the ALiS technology they employ.

Both LCDs and plasmas can suffer from dead pixels.

LCDs are immune to screen burn so are ideally suited to console use - well they would be if it were not for the motion blur.

Plasmas are still prone to screen burn though I must say that the Panny seems more hard wearing than the Pioneer I had which rather than screen burn suffered from image retention which could last for a couple of hours.

LCDs usually have a higher pixel count than plasmas.

IMO most plasmas/LCDs really benefit from the use of an external scaler to get the best out of them. Though some models are more suited to their use than others.

I will point out that the above are just my own findings from looking around and owning a Pioneer 433HDE which I had for 7 months and hated, a Sony 32" LCD which was great until anything moved on screen, a Sharp 37" LCD which was better than the Sony but it suffered from terrible overscan and skin tones just looked odd.

I now have a 50" Panny plasma which I am very very pleased with.

Who knows what will happen in the future. My guess is that LCD, or some other technology, will replace plasma in the not too distant future...it all depends how long you are willing to wait.

In conclusion you can only tell by doing the leg work and seeing as many screens as you can with various sources. Every screen will look decent showing Finding Nemo...try and view some Sky or Freeview programming.

Cheers, Lee

3. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Wow..thanks for the very detailed reply...i appreciate it.

4. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I agree, to put it bluntly, if your currently after anything bigger than say 20-25", forget LCD for now, this technology is where plasma was 2 years ago (ie £15,000 for 42") If your happy with a current plasma model that you have seen, then buy it. otherwise wait 6 months for HDMI features and lower priceing.

5. jrecampbell

jrecampbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lee, this was a really useful post. Could you explain to me though what overscan is and what exactly the Sharp exhibited? I'm looking at the Sharp LC-30HV4E and would be interested in getting a bit more from your experience of, I presume, this model.

Thanks.

6. 38H21543

38H21543

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    It is amazing that news items like this can claim "leading to dramatic improvements in picture quality" when so many discussions in these forums have indicated there is little benefit and many complications.

Loewe adds HDMI to flat panel TVs
    Loewe has announced that from this month on it is going to start adding HDMI connections to all of its Spheros and Xelos range of LCD and plasma screens from 26in and above. In case you don't know what HDMI inputs do, they permit a direct digital signal connection between the screen and an HDMI/DVI carrying DVD player, leading to dramatic improvements in picture quality. Naturally Loewe's connections are compatible with High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) system.
    Posted by John Archer
    To link to this news item, bookmark this address :
    http://www.whatvideotv.com.com/news...atvideotv.com/cgi-bin/displaynews.php?id=6325

7. YS-YS

YS-YS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    loonatic what do you class as high contrast ratio?