1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Installation Recommendations

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Anomar, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Anomar

Anomar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I am now the proud owner of a new Panny 42" plasma screen. The only problem now, is I need to have the thing installed on my wall. I have the Unicol bracket, and all necessary cables, etc. While I am very comfortable with my ability to do all the proper connections, I am worthless when it comes to anything involving hammers, nails, screws, et al.

Can anyone recommend a good and reliable builder in London who would be able to do the following:

1) Mount plasma screen onto plasterboard wall
    2) Run speaker wires and SAT cabling through walls/ceiling
    3) Install electric fireplace underneath plasma. (I know, it has nothing to do with the AV forum, but hey....it looks nice).

Thanks in advance for any useful suggestions.

John

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) The Plasma needs to be mounted onto the brick wall behind the plasterboard- not the plasterboard (not strong enough)

3) Why are people obsessed with mounting Plasma's above fireplaces- heat convention/Plasma screen overheating?

3. Anomar

Anomar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan,

Sorry....I should have mentioned in the original post, but there is no brick wall. The wall is an internal plasterboard wall in a block of flats.

John

4. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Take the plasma back to place of purchase and ask for the 42" ultra light model (at no extra charge) and then you can use blutack to mount it :)

5. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Two suggestions but you had better check the weight of the plasma first. I installed my kitchen at my old house and had to mount wall cabinets into plasterboard. There are these bolts which tap into the plasterboard which then tighten and expand so that the part of the sleeve that the bolt screws into is flat on the inside of the plaster board. I don't know how much weight can be put on them but a tall kitchen cabinet full of plates and cups etc is not exactly light. You can buy them in any B&Q type store. You could always mount the bracket and test the strength by applying your weight on the bracket to see if it holds. When my CRT projector was installed, the guy tested the fixings by hanging of the bracket from the ceiling and doing a couple of pull ups!!! I guess that if it holds a moving 6ft, 15 stone guy, a CRT will be no problem.

If this is not an option, then the plasterboard may need reinforcing from the back and replastering. Not cheap so if the walls are no good, you may be better off with the stand and a nice looking cabinet. If you are set on getting it wall mounted, I am having a load of building work done at the moment so know plasterers, builders, sparks etc but I wouldn't have thought that you would get much change out of £500 do do what you asked. BTW, he is based in SE London/Kent borders so it would be a local job for him so he may be interested. If you want, I'll ask for you to see if he is interested in the job.

Whichever way you go, just periodically check the fixings and make sure that your home contents policy covers you for accidental damage.:p

Good luck

Simon

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you rent the flat, or have you bought it? I know a mate couldn't even put pictures up in his rented flat.

7. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    if the wall is plasterboard onto wood the u should find that the upright wooden beams are 18 inch apart :)

u can either use a joist finder or tap on the wall(the deeper sound indicates u r near the support) and drill a small hole to find the upright support

the wooden uprights will support the plasma easily if they were installed correctly,plaster board fixings in my opinion would not be a very good option!

and as the other post says u can have the wall reinforced by a builder, u r hanging alot of money up there so best to get it firmly hung :)

8. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The best way for you to mount your screen on a plaster board wall is to get someone in to mount it for you! Seriously, unless you know a bit about building, more than the normal DIY, I wouldn't risk it.

A couple of years ago I did a conversion of a property in to two houses, and while I would consider myself to know more than the normal DIYer, there were parts which we got other trades persons in to assist on.

As for running cables in walls, best to put a tube in so that you can add extra cables at a later date - everybody wants to add to their system to get more devices connected or better quality pictures!

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

9. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    As ted 26 said - no problem with attaching to the joists. You can add further joist horizontally between the vertical ones if the position is not as you'd like.

I also don't see a problem with the screen above a fire. My mum put a thermometre above hers and found no problems (you should do the same in case you fire allows a more heat up the wall). She moved the screen eventually as it was too high for comfort. Which I think is the main problem, as otherwise it looks great - one focal point in the room - fire/plasm.

10. Danberry

Danberry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panny 42" on plasterboard walls. I bolted mine to existing vertical joist, which happily was exactly in the right place, made two extra holes in the bracket so I had four big screws through the bracket to the joist. Then used the "heavy duty" plaster board fixings mentioned above on all other bracket holes as additional support and to make me feel better. Got the bracket on the wall then tested using my own weight with pull ups etc (I weigh well over twice what the Panny does), no issues. I plan to regularly take the screen off the bracket and check again using my weight, so far so good.

D