1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Installation Cost??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by chez, Dec 7, 2003.

1. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Could somebody tell me what the average peice is for a PLasma Wall Installation?

I would feel much happier knowing that a professional had installed it for me!

My house is a few years old and therefore has the standard "Plasterboard-cavity-Thermalite-cavity-Outside Wall" construction.

I have come to that conclusion as whenever I drill through the plasterboard to put something on the wall, as soon as the drill goes through the plaster, it then hits another material which it seems to drill through rather too easily (with a lot of dust flying around as well!)

The reason I ask is that I visited a local Home Cinema retailer and enquired as to how much they would charge.

The chap said that it would take 2 engineers to install it and that it would probably take them a morning. Total cost somewhere in the region of £350 + £200 for the bracket.

This seems a little steep to me!

I'm having trouble finding anyone who does a plasma installation service in my area, any ideas what type of companies I should be trying?

Thanks
    Chez

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    What plasma do you have? That does seem a little high, but not massively. 2 people are needed if it's a 50" but just for the lift onto the bracket. If there's someone there who can help, 1 man is enough. And do you want the wires buried in the wall too?

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Why don't you see if they'll include installation in the price? When I got mine 42PD3000, I bought the bracket from the dealer along with the plasma and they came and wall mounted it for free.

After a couple of weeks we decided it was a bit too high up on the wall and they came back and lowered it, again for free.

I put the wires in the wall myself but figured if the plasma falls off the wall at least I've got someone else to blame.

John

4. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Save your money and do it yourself, nip into B&Q and have a look at the wallfixings they have, they stock wallfixings for everything. Get a mate round to give you a lift when the bracket's in place £550 is an outragous price. It cost me £97 to put my bracket up and £92 of that was for the bracket the other fiver was for some wall bolts from B & Q, you should find out what's behind your plasterboard though before going ahead with it. The problems you think you have can easily be solved and a professional installer will only have the same problems.
    I can tell you it's very satisfying to do it yourself and it is very easy, be confident man and go and get your drill out :smashin:

Johndon

Can i just ask you about your plasma height, mine is set 900mm from the floor to the bottom of the panel. I'm starting to think it's a bit low and may raise it another 300mm, what height have you adjusted your panel from and to what ????

(sorry to hijack your thread Chez) you should be getting your drill out now though not reading this :laugh:

5. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Just use the toggle fixings that are used to hang radiators, if you only have plasterboard.
    If they can take the weight of a radiator they can easily support a plasma.

6. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Chez,

I paid £150 and I supplied the bracket. My installer just needed to drill the holes, fix the bracket and pull the cables through the cavity and fix the Plasma to the bracket. I did the rest.

I did consider getting a gang of friends and family to do the job but was concerned that the only thing my warranty and home insurance did not cover in terms of accidental damge was 'installation'.

Simon

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    We charge £250 per day, plus parts (not plaster, little connectors, other small necessities, just brackets, video cables) for which I'd expect the technician to bury the video cables, run the THX optimizer, connect the surround sound, cables under carpet or hidden neatly in some way, sound pressure meter waved about at least, client taught how to use the system, warned about screen burn, educated how to avoid it, and we'd also have a b*** good try at selling a pronto or similar.

8. pizzacheaze

pizzacheaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I paid a joiner £20 and a electrician £30 to help me do it, bracket was £125. You can save money by getting all the right fixings yourself and doing the donkey work such as locating the studs with a stud detector.

Mine is on a plasterboard wall, we used the heaviest duty plasterboard butterfly fittings we could find and mounted the bracket on 2 wooden wall studs (which run upright every 18" in my house)

We didnt need to replaster for wires as we removed the skirting board and broke the eggbox stuff behind the plasterboard.

9. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I haven't got the screen yet, but it will more than likely be a pw6 or 434.

I don't want to do it myself - I know I'll end up with a wonky plasma and I'd rather have the re-assurance of knowing that if it falls off the wall, someone else will pick up the repair bill.

MAW - £250 per day?? Do you only cover the south?? Do you know of any suitable fitters in the Midlands?

Regards
    Chez

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I can send my guys if you want, not too bad for us, but I don't like to give the hard sell here, I'm happy just to provide info for comparison. PM me if you want a proper quote, best make sure all your stuff is connectable in some way. BTW if you haven't yet ordered a 434 it'll be well into the new year, and I gather supply problems are heading this way with PW6's, so act accordingly! I can't get you a 434 in any sensible time frame now.

11. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    MAW - could you only do the install if I bought the screen from you?

Reason I ask is that i HAVE to buy it from John Lewis, as they are refunding me (on my JL card) for my iffy TH36PB50!

As for timescales, I'd much rather wait and get the right screen!

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Obviously I'd love to sell a screen, but we will install anything, unicol bracket £135 BTW

13. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks MAW.

I'll have a think and give you a shout once I've bought it!!

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Unless you have a desperate need for a black glass surround and an analogue tuner, I'd get the PW6. More and more issues are surfacing with the pioneer, and whilst I'd agree it's appearance when turned off is light yrs ahead, it's not easy to get a good signal from all you components with it, it's quite restricting. And last but not least, there is something from JL we will not touch under any circumstances, a four letter word beginning with B.... It is not worthy of our attention. So if you are getting some sound, don't do that at JL.

15. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You mean BUSH - there's nothing wrong with a nice BUSH:D :p ;)

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No, no problem at all with bush! As long as the collar and cuffs match, as Roger Moore said! I had a US audio manufacturer in mind. Check the back page of the radio times for details.

17. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    No, I wouldn't touch b*** with a bargepole!

I've got a Meridian/Krell/Ruark/REL surround setup already, so I'm sorted on the audio side of things!

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Man after my own heart

19. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    fuzzybee,

The bottom of the screen is now 960mm from the floor which I find gives a comfortable viewing height from the sofa which is around 3m from the screen. It as originally 1185mm from the floor which meant that you were looking up at the screen and it became very hard on the neck when viewing.

HTH

John

20. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Bees don't have a neck, so don't run that risk. 1200mm sounds very high to me, it's all those designer pictures that make people do that. The shots in the mags are just there to look nice, and are studio mock ups usually. In the real world, where you actually watch TV on your plasma, it's usually better to mount it a bit lower.

21. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I agree.
    The bottom edge of my 504 is a mere 58cm from the floor.
    This puts the centre of the screen exactly at eye level when sat on the sofa.
    It does seem a bit low when stood up but I don't spend a lot of time watching it stood up...

22. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Thanks guys it's stopping where it is, even though i don't have a neck having to fly that bit higher to dust it wouldn't be worth the effort. I've also just realised why my PD3000 doesn't seem to buzz it's because i do, Louder :p

23. pauld

pauld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not a difficult job to do yourself, with a help to help support and lift the plasma. I wouldn't recommend using those toggle wall fixings to support the plasma alone, a very bad idea, you must consider the shear strength of the plasterboard which isn't very strong. You should used fischer fixings into the blockwork behind the platerboard, these are roughly 5" long and are exceptionally strong, then just use spacers between the platerboard and blockwork so that you are not pulling against the platerboard as you tighten up the fixings.
    I did mine with a friend and then cut a channel into the plasterboard to put the cables in and then just re-plastered the area, I admit that I do have a fair bulding background, but if you take your time and have a reasonable DIY skills, then you should be fine.

24. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Our 433MXE is wall mounted (or was when I left the house this morning:smashin: )

It's a plasterboard/stud wall. The Plasma bracket is mounted to a sheet of MDF that is screwed to two of the uprights studs (could only fit two in as they are at 600mm centre).

I marked and measured out the holes of the plasma bracket onto the MDF ready for the next step.

My wife and a neighbour held the mdf panel to the wall whilst I measured up the mounting holes etc (a spirit level helped to ensure the board remained level) and drilled thru for the following rawlplugs

Once completed I fitted 10 plasterboard rawlplugs (the coarse threaded aluminium ones) into the plasterboard and then screwed the MDF sheet to the stud uprights with 12x3" screws.

Making sure the predrilled holes in the MDF was lined up with the 10 rawlplugss in the plasterboard, the plasma bracket was then mounted to the MDF/rawlplugs and stud uprights.

plasma was then hung on bracket and bolted in place

and that was that. Nerve racking, you can say that again.

the three of us stood and waited for what seemed like an eternity when the plasma was finally let go off and trusted in the bracket staying in place.

Jobs a good one. Distance to bottom of panel from floor is about 50" or so. A bit high, but is a compromise incase we get a fireplace installed (as it's over were the fireplace would usually be).

Total cost about £150 which included £130 for bracket (see Powerbuys section), £7 for a 4'x2' x 12mm MDF, 10 rawlplugs and 12x3" screws

Gary