1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Installation Advice/Help Please?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by retro21, Feb 8, 2005.

1. retro21

retro21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello everyone. :hiya:

Like a few others here I have been extensively researching/viewing/reviewing plasma screens for a couple of months and have decided on the Pioneer PDP-435xde. Fortunately I am able to fix it to an outside brick wall in the conservatory.

My problem is that I am the worse person at DIY I know. How do I get the plasma onto a bracket and onto the wall safely? I don’t want to find 3k’s worth of equipment on the floor !! :eek:

I have been trying to find a supplier who will install it (maybe even configure) as well as deliver at as low a price as possible, any ideas?

I’ve spoke to a couple of suppliers but the best they can offer is the phone number of local installation people and I’ve been quoted £450 for a two-man job, surely this is excessive?

Or do I purchase the slim-line universal tilting plasma mount in advance (£110 from AV-Sales) and get a professional builder to install it? Cost?

Am I worrying unnecessarily and just attempt it myself?

Any advice gladly received.

2. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    pretty simple operation actually especially as you are lucky enough to have a brick wall to mount it on

you need level,drill,rawl plugs,screws,screwdriver and a second person to lift plasma up on to bracket and to follow the instructions that come with the bracket

first make sure you have powersocket close to plasma to plug it in and also a run for cable connecting plasma to your av kit

choose your preferred position on the wall, offer bracket to wall making sure its level and mark drill holes also mark centre point on this outline

double check to see if any electric power sockets are located on the wall if there are you need to ensure that you are not going to drill into them you can get a sensor to pick up electric cables in walls.

no cables then drill holes insert rawl plugs, screw bracket to wall checking thats it level each time the slots will allow for a small amount of adjustment

next following bracket manufactors instruction screw mounting bracket onto plasma

now your ready to lift onto bracket, ask neighbour,brother,friend etc.i used wife :) using centre point as guideline lift plasma onto bracket

easy really no point in paying £450 for that save your money and use it for ISF calibration in a couple of months

3. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Just to let you know that you usually get the screws and rawl plugs with the bracket.
    Dont worry about it, its easier than you think.
    Just remember the spirit level!

4. retro21

retro21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Wow what a quick response, thank you !! :thumbsup:

Looks like i'll try it myself and put the £450 towards ISF/DVD Player.

Final question (for the moment).

Can anyone recommend a wall mount for the 435xde?

The one from AV-Sales at £110 seems reasonable compared to others ranging up to £250? Is there that much difference in quality and is a tilting bracket really necessary?

Thank you in advance.

5. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Personally I got a tilting bracket - this was because I have mounted it above the fireplace so I wanted the screen pointing downwards towards my viewing position. Once I knock out the fireplace I will be lowering the screen and having it flush against the wall.
    So it depends on how high you mount the screen and your personal preference. If you dont think you will need a tilt bracket then dont get one and save the cash.

6. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18

I got the no tilting bracket from these and it looks a doddle to put up. Seems very robust also, doing mine on the weekend. Didn't have any screws or plugs for the wall plate sent to me though. There are a couple of very similar brackets also available at cheaper money but don't know if of the same quality.

ps - like your pic profile.

7. retro21

retro21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thank you once again.

Will order the bracket in advance and allow myself time to put it up properly !!

8. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The tilting brackets normally come in two halves. One you put up on the wall, the other half gets bolted to the back of your plasma. Then you hook the plasma part over the wall half and then secure with security screws.
    Jobs a good un. You'll be able to do it no probs I guarantee! ;)

9. bluevortex

bluevortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    what happens if you dont have a stone wall to fix the plasma to. Is there no way round attaching it to a plaster board wall?

10. seaco

seaco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have plasertboard walls so I attached two vertical batterns 2"x2" to the wall about 4' high from the floor with plasterboard rawl plugs then attached a sheet of 18mm MDF measuring about 4'x2' to the battening, then attached the plasma bracket to this, then made a 4" hole behind the bracket the added bonus is that I can hide all the cables in the void at the back of the MDF...