Plasma install - Newbie in need of some advice before my head explodes!!!

jamesk190

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I've been dropping in on these forums for a while now and have finally got to the point where I need some specific advice!

We have just bought a new house and the first plan when we move in is to redecorate the front room and I've convinced the other half to let me build a fake chimney breast to mount our new tv in!

Having checked out many of the posts in the "Which LCD TV should I buy?" forum I thought I had narrowed it down to the Panasonic TXP37X10 plasma based on the several recommendations it has been given to other people in a similar situation to me (it will predominantly be dvd and standard Sky viewing).

However, I downloaded the manual from Panasonic's site and it states that it should be given a clearance of 10cm on all sides and to me that sounds like it will look a bit rubbish if mounted in the wall with a 10cm gap. Can any of you who have mounted tv's in the wall advise what gap you've left and if any of you have mounted a plasma, did you leave this kind of gap and if so, has it caused any issues?

Cheers in advance,
James

All you have to do is just have a small gap around (about 50mm) but leave plenty of space behind the front fascia where the stoothing is ( you could leave a foot gap all round in there :thumbsup:) where you could possibly have some light in as well ;)

You read my mind! I've been looking at leds as well! :thumbsup: Any ideas where I can find some that aren't going to set me back a small fortune?

Cheers for the advice on the gap, that's what I guessed but just wanted to hear it from someone else as well!!!

Sorry about the pic :thumbsdow

I left 4cm all round and put some ventilation holes above - my method was a touch crude and its one of the few things I regret but I was paranoid about heat not having any where to escape , shouldnt have worried, having now finished the project I dont think that the ventilation holes were even necessary

P1200015.jpg

berkeley384....nice one. That's what I though but didn't want to base it on guesswork! It's the first time I'll have owned a plasma and didn't want to risk knackering it by it overheating!

The only problem I've got now is deciding how to wire it all up and wait another 2 months before I can even start!! (we've not moved in yet!)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom