Plasma inputs dilemma PHD8

cheechy

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok need some old heads here please. I'm pretty much settled on looking at two possible plasmas like everyone else (pio 436xde and hd8) and will probably decide once I hopefully see these screens at the Scottish AV show in a couple of weeks.

The problem I have is that of pluggin everything into the plasma. Now if I go for the Pioneer then this isnt going to be a problem due to the media box but I get the feeling I may well be compromising on overall picture quality - although not by very much.

I need to plug in a couple of RGB sources through component, a PC via native through the VGA and possibly get hdmi port for a new DVD player and Sky HD once it arrives.....

The problem arises over the component stuff - I dont want to buy an additional component board so want to switch - but I've just found out today that the Yammy RX-V640 wont do 720 or 1080i over the component ports as it doesnt have the bandwidth seemingly!
So I'm either looking at another comp board, a scaler, a new amp (I want HDMI switching so this wont be cheap) or buy a Pio.......

Oh yes and what benefit (if any) would I get from a JS RGB to component here in comparison to a straight RGB to component cable??

Sorry big post but this is all the stuff that's going through my head just now :mad:

Cheers :thumbsup:

all my stuff is going into a scalar and then out via vga into the plasma
its an expensive route but will give the best picture for all your inputs,
as your looking at hd displays ill assume pic pq is important

Indeed it is - in the process of pricing up a media PC as well. Had a talk with Gizze a couple of weeks ago and had pretty much settled with the HD8 switching through my amp - finding out it doesnt do the switching was a bit of a blow really. If I change it I'm going to do it properly hence the HDMI switching requirement....

I've sourced a DVD Iscan HD for under £500 but I dont think it solves my problems!

cheechy said:
The problem arises over the component stuff - I dont want to buy an additional component board so want to switch - but I've just found out today that the Yammy RX-V640 wont do 720 or 1080i over the component ports as it doesnt have the bandwidth seemingly!
So I'm either looking at another comp board, a scaler, a new amp (I want HDMI switching so this wont be cheap) or buy a Pio.......

Sorry big post but this is all the stuff that's going through my head just now :mad:

Cheers :thumbsup:

Took me ages to get the connections straight before buying my PHD8...

If you've got more component sources than you think you can handle, why not get a JS Master Component Switcher?

Cheechy,

I am awaiting delivery of my PHD8 and had also planned to use the component switching on my RX-V640 720P and 1080i signals. I have frantically scanned the manual and can not find a compatability issue.

If the amp is purely switching and there should be no processing involved so I can not understand how bandwidth can come into it.

This is all quite new to me so I may be wrong but where did you hear about the "bandwidth problem" so that I can check it out.

Thanks

the connections inside the amp are a bit cheap so can't handle the higher fequencies of HD, in theory. it may work, it may not (if it doesnt you'll see tearing at the top of the frame in bright scenes). Why do you need it to switch HD signals right now? it will switch 480p/576p i would assume, so why not use them for now then save up for a HDMI switching amp ready for the actual HD revolution :)

I guess I'm worrying over nothing!
Karlmac - PLEASE let me know how you get on with the amp / plasma as it will let me know what way to go.

Thanks for the opinions guys

Sorry Karlmac - I read about someone trying to p/x their Yammy 630 and saw that in theory it couldnt handle 720 and 1080 switching - so did a search about and eventually found a thread that talked about the 640 being the same. Seemingly the 650 was the first amp to fully support 720 and 1080 switching....

But if it works then what the hell!

Hi Cheechy,

As Chedmaster quite rightly pointed out I do not need this facility yet. I had planned to connect my current DVD player and Sky HD to the amp via component and then the amp to the screen using a component to VGA cable.

I think I will try it and see but can not do this until the SKY HD box comes out. Hey if it does not work what a great excuse to update my AMP, I belive Yamaha have a new one out withHDMI switching!!

Karlmac

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom