1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma input boards

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mikatt, Aug 16, 2004.

1. mikatt

mikatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi I'm thinking of getting a Panasonic PW6 42inch plasma, can anyone advise instead of using the Panasonic input boards I was to use the JS Tech RGB to Plasma VGA unit to input my sourge material. Would the end result be better. All of my source units use scart connectors so I would also require a scart switch unit.

Mike

2. lei179

lei179

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I was in the same situation as yourself,as i only have scart connections,and have decided to go for js tech to plasma as this is apparently the best feed for cable and sky boxes,i will get a component board as my free one and upgrade my dvd player to component output at a later date.As for a scart switcher i dont know if this would degrade the picture,so i would like to know that aswell.
    Lei

3. mikatt

mikatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    lei179

The JoyTech scart switch unit seems to be popular with no reported reduction in picture quality Play-com have them at £39.99 as for the JS RGB to vga I think the experts say its good but is it better than the Panasonic unit??

Mike

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    mikatt

You were doing well until you suggested a £39.99 SCART switch in the middle of your signal path :)

If ALL of your sources are SCART RGB enabled then yes a JS Technology RGB2VGA converter into the HD15 (VGA) port on the plasma does work very well - with a decent quality switcher ahead of the JS Converter to pre select the Input you wish to view.

You can potentially do away with the Switcher and 'Daisy chain' your RGB SCART sources - many RGB SCART enabled units have an In and an Out SCART socket.

Keep in mind you loose any Auto Aspect Ratio control going with the RGB2VGA converter and your slightly more limited with colour control options on the display with RGB - some folk prefer the RGB2YUV converter for this reason.

You need to ensure all of your sources are RGB enabled - or start again and have two video paths; one for RGB kit and one for Composite/ S-Video etc.

And you need to look at a decent SCART switch - I'd normally recommend/supply the B-Tech Quintro+ as the 'minimum' required spec.

Best regards

Joe

5. mikatt

mikatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Many thanks Joe this is the sort of help I was looking for, using the JS RGB to component unit I would then require the Panasonic TY-42TM6Y interface board I guess as for the scart switcher the jury is still out. One other thing my VHS recorder is just composite would this feed through the JS box OK, my other kit is a Humax 8000T and a Panasonic DVD recorder DME 60 which are RGB .

Mike

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    mikatt

01. YUV to PW6 - if you don't plan on using a PC with the system the 'In built' HD15 (VGA) socket on the PW6 is YUV capable; all you require is a 3RCA to HD15 cable and NO optional Input boards.

02. VHS player - if you use it a lot your possibly best considering the SCART or Composite video Input boards for the Display; or if its occasional use only your Humax may allow you to view the VCR via an RF connection.

Best regards

Joe