plasma in room corner

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by rab4169, Nov 4, 2005.

1. rab4169

rab4169
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    we were going to put our panasonic pw6 above the fire but wife having second thoughts about height. our only other option is on a corner mahogany cabinet that is already there or remove the corner cabinet and build some kind of corner shelf to take plasma.
    has anyone any experience of this, what would you go for and also i don`t have a plasma stand ,was looking at panasonics but it is £140 for what looks like 3 pieces of metal, has anyone built their own or any suggestions would be appreciated. thinking of bit of mdf then either 2 bits of wood or metal tubing to put plasms onto ,the mdf could then be varnished to match corner unit that is there and screwed to this
    thanks

robert

2. don-tucker

don-tucker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    I have put my PW7 in the corner on a cabinet,it's fine,fortunately I had a metal stand with it,but it wouldn't take much making in wood as you suggested as long as the base came forward of the panel for stability.
    Can send you a photo if required if you let me have your e-mail.
    Don

3. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Robert,

I have mine over the fireplace, if you want to determine how it will look, use a cardboard cutout the size of the screen and place it there to give you some idea.

Don't worry too much about what other people say is the optimal viewing height, if it's convenient for you and yours then go for it.

4. StinkyPete

StinkyPete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I have just taken delivery of 2 42" plasmas and have one in the corner, I bought a normal tv corner unit in Pine, its 71cm high and 1.2m at the widest point and fits perfectly in the corner of the room.
    I have a Denon Amp, Denon DVD player and a sky box in there with enough spare room for a video player or xbox/playstation as well.

The other will be going on a cabinet I am making myself in Pine on a ped stand but flat against the wall, I would have made the corner unit, but that would have been to much work and I did not have enough time.

5. brownmg

brownmg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately I may have had the biggest influence on the screen selection, but the location etc is definitely my wife's domain!
    Had a 42" Viera plasma delivered 2 weeks after moving into a new house (mid August). Screen spent 1st 2 weeks using polystyrene packing as a floor stand.
    Then found an old TV stand which it still sits on.
    She doesn't want glass; or the stylish Panasonic stand with glass shelves; or mahogany - too dark in the room; the grain on oak does not look right she says; got something on order now; hope to get it installed before Xmas and the warranty expires! :suicide:

6. Chris Blackwell

Chris Blackwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I second the idea of cutting out a cardboard shape the same size as the Plasma and hanging it over the fireplace. Leave it there for a few days to get used to it. Just to throw a spanner into the works here ... doesn't putting a Plasma in a corner defeat the whole object of having a Plasma in the first place? Wall mounted they take up so much less space. In a corner you might as well have a CRT TV space-wise.

7. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Mines in a corner and looks great on my optimum stand.Tried the over the fire place with the cardboard much too high for me and thats from 16' away, looks nice from a design point but would give me neck strain plus the rugrats like watching the tv on the floor. :)
    ps you cant buy a 42"crt ;)

8. karlyboy

karlyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For what its worth: Bought a chrome/glass hi-fi desk from Argos 3 weeks ago for £70 but found out that it was too high for my 42" plasma with stand. So I took courage and sawed off 25 cms of each leg and drill 4 new holes to move the bottom shelf to its new position. Result it now looks like a £140 TV unit you can buy from Comet.

9. rab4169

rab4169
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    has anyone ut a plasma on a shelf in a corner , how do you think that would look

10. RonBurgundy

RonBurgundy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    how about a twisting wall mount that would allow you to put it in the corner like the vogels?