1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma image retention

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by bazjo, Dec 17, 2003.

1. bazjo

bazjo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently invested in a Hitachi 32PD3000 - looks good so far, but have only hooked up to DVD as yet. I am waiting (1 month) for a Sky+ to be installed. DVD Home Cinema is Jamo DVR50.

Hitachi's instructions are fairly vague on the question of screen burn. Apart from screen saver being activated, they advise avoiding (amonst other things) having the screen not completely filled "for long periods of time". Testing with a Lord of the Rings video I simply cannot fill the screen in any mode without the picture being hopelessly squeezed.

The question for all you experienced guys is what constitutes "long periods of time"? For example, will "The Return of the King" be too long for the top and tail black bands?

Any advice welcome.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I've got a 42PD3000 and have had no problems with image retention even after using a PC for 3 hours - there was a VERY faint image of the taskbar which disappeared after a couple of minutes of full screen TV. Make sure that you turn the contrast down and you shouldn't have any problems if you're sensible.

I've watched the extended editions of FOTR and TTT with no problems

HTH

John

3. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I second the above. You won't have any problems watching DVDs and even extended editions of films with black bars will be fine. You will get a dark after image top and bottom of the screen, but this is hardly visible and goes within minutes of normal full screen viewing. Channels with static logo's on them are more problematic.