1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma hi-def advice want to run xbox 360 advice please !

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mickymcd, Sep 17, 2005.

1. mickymcd

mickymcd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Ive seen a Hyundai 42" plasma tv on ebuyers site mainly it will be a replacement tv for a faulty sony 42" dlp rtv which went faulty and i was refunded.Anyway ive been informed the tv is hdtv compatible but not hd ready i will never be paying sky mega bucks as i detest sky i will be using tv for watching freeview but im getting an xbox 360 so will want to run the xbox 360 in hi-def mode to get the best from it will this tv be able to do that ? the tv in question is this
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=93396

Ive been thinking of getting a samsung 32" bdx tv but they are only 32" set fair enough they are "hd ready" but id sooner have a bigger tv as im using a 32" grundig crt now and cant justify spending loads on a tv of the same screen size all your advice would be much appricated im all ears as you can guess noob here. :hiya:

2. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    if its not HD Ready then no, you need a HD Ready plasma.

3. mickymcd

mickymcd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I was informed as long as the tv was high def compatible the 360 would run in hidef mode this isnt the case ? :eek:

4. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    If the TV is 'high def compatible" it will take a high def signal e.g. from an Xbox360 and scale the image to its own native res, probably 852x480. Pretty much a waste of time imho. If you want the best from your Xbox360 then you'll have to invest in a "high def ready" TV, i.e. one that will take a high def signal and display the image with at least 720 lines vertical resolution. Most common res for HD plasmas depends on screen size, e.g. looking specifically at Panny's, 37" are 1024x720, 42" are 1024x768 and 50" are 1366x768.

*EDIT* Just followed the link you posted... that Hyundai has a res of, quote: Resolution:852 X 480.

S.

5. dodgyd

dodgyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    From the very site you linked to:

• Resolution:852 X 480

Displays need to be at least 720 in height to be classed as HD ready.
    More info here http://www.dvdlibrary.co.uk/hd_ready.htm
    Dave.

6. mickymcd

mickymcd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Thanks for your help there mate im stuck i like the reviews on the 32" lcd hd ready samsung thats about but wouldnt mind the bigger 42" screen im back on a 32" widescreen crt at the moment buy for my budget i think the sammy will be the one future proof etc or do i wait until christmas time see if anything else about. :confused:

7. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Can't pass personal comment myself, but there are others on the forums that say that feeding a HD signal (such as xbox on 720p) to a SD display will actually result in a better picture. (since the alternative is to get an interlaced signal in and let the panel scale up).

So yes, to get the "best" out of an HD signal you need an HD TV, but if you can't afford the pennies then an SD panel will probably look better than what you've seen before :)

ZedZed