1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Oasis-GasPanic, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Everyone,
    I need some help with a plasma quiery. I'm looking for a plasma which is great for DVD(prog scan)/TV(sky digi)
    and PC. I came across the panny TH42PW4B which has had some great reviews in all the mags, my only problem with this screen is the resolution (852 x 480). I would like my PC res to be set to 1024x768 so would there be any problems with this or shall I wait until the higher res plasmas drop in price a bit?

BTW any reccomendations on other plasmas that will suite my needs. (upto £4000)

Cheers.

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i know the new philips 42pf9964 has the screen rez your looking for £4000 from www.nexnix.co.uk hope this was some use

3. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers jmack,
    Someone I know has reccomended the Fujitsu 4222 which has the res I want, but I just wanted to know how that compared in picture performance to the panny?

Regards

4. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    The Fujitsu PDS4222 is now an end of life product. I've sold a couple and its picture (IMO) is nowhere near as good as the Panny.
    Black levels are its biggest problem, but the last few are being sold off very cheaply, so if you can live with greyish blacks have a look round.

5. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Norman, looks like I'll be going for the panny then. Just to revert back to one of my original questions, if I feed a 1024X768 (XGA) picture through the vga or BNC ports on the panny, what will happen? I know the panny only has a res of 852X480 so will it not diplay anything or will it just compress it and "shrink" the image?

Cheers

6. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I have a panny 42pwd4 and it will show 1024x768 at 60hz and isn't bad. However, if you set it at the native rate of 852x480 (powerstrip, yey!) I think you'll be surprised at its picture quality. I've tried watching divx films/mpeg etc on it and its a helluva lot better than I'd originally thought it might be and text is very readable - no more of the s-video tv-out days squint mode!
    Do a search on here and there is more argument for the pwd4 model (more user settings available/ better picture etc.) than the b4 - the main 'benefit' of the b4 being it's silver, though the d4 is quite so in its charcoal finish.

7. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the Toshiba 42" Plasma (which is a re-badged Panasonic and identical in every way).

Although the native resolution is what you state it will happily accept other resolutions (through the VGA port at least). I use in 640x480 mode (with the 'Just' mode on to stretch it to full screen width) and it looks the best and is o.k. for what I use it for.
    In 800x600 or 1024x768 (again in 'Just' mode) everything looks fine totally useable (especially as you can modify font sizes etc). 1024x768 does not look quite as clear and vivid as the lower resolutions but no problems. I Have not tried any higher res's.

I am very very happy with the picture quality for PC and DVD - this is a superb piece of kit and I would certainly recomend it!

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Oasis-gaspanick

Interesting conundrum - live with superior video replay or look for the sharpest PC graphics.

Basically the Panasonic panel will re-map your 1024x768 signal to its 852x480 pixels and you will loose a bit of absolute definition; though we do have plenty of our corporate customers doing exactly that and quite happily reading spreadsheets and the like with no major gripes.

The 1024x1024 panels as suggested by others are a bit of a fudge and the Fujitsu ALIS technology that allows this fudge seems to cause a big divide between those that love it and those that hate it.

Possibly the NEW Pioneer PDP-433MXE which is 1024x768 is the best alternative for you - it is slightly above your price ceiling (+£600) but maybe offers the best mix of video and graphics reproduction; assuming you feel the Panasonic graphics don't meet your requirements.

Best regards

Joe

9. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers to everyone who replied,

BTW - Joe I've always thought the pioneer was the perfect screen to accomodate my two main needs (especially with the media box) but it is only the price which has made me steer clear of the model.(£5k+ for 43" with media box).

Regards

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Oasis-GasPanic

This is a NEW model just released this month and not the PDP-433HDE PlasmaTV with the external media box.

The PDP-433MXE is the all new Plasma Display from Pioneer that uses the PDA-5002 video board to deliver Composite, S-Video, Analogue RGB and Digital (DVI) RGB.

This new panel has 10 bit video processing and a true 1024 x 768 pixel array so would definitely be a great match for your PC and as we have lots of happy customers already using the bigger 50" PDP-503MXE with many high end DVD players this may just be the panel for you.

Regards

Joe