1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLASMA Help me decide LG RZ-42PX11 or PANNY 42PE50

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by marnstars, May 4, 2005.

1. marnstars

marnstars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello!

Having just had a LG RZ-42PX11 cancelled on me, I'm having a re-think on my choices.

Essentially I was so unconvinced for the need of a higher spec Plasma (and price) and therefore went for the LG. Essentially I have since had a v.good deal offered ot me on the Panny 42pe50 - but I remain unconvinced that it's the right tv for me!

LG = cheapest of the two at £1299. Good reviews generally in this forum and can see why I went for this orginally. Big negative for me would be sound quality from two speakers - no plans yet to rig up sound system.

Panny = Offered at £1780 with ped stand and DVD recorder. The G8 panel is the big draw to this, although I read that connectivity isn't great and it lacks the speakers set up of it's predessor (pe30 range). Would I be right in thinking it's Pannasonic's entry into the value market? And if so, would the LG be the better buy even depsite the free £200 dvd recorder.

2. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    Hi,

The best advice would be to go and see these screens in action and spend time using them in the shop, even take a few DVD's with you to test them.

Don't go off and spend your money through word of mouth as everyone has their own preference.

See for yourself before you buy! :)

3. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi if u like sports stay away from the lg its poor in that department.

4. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sorry, I have to disagree with that statement. I have the PX11 and watched the Liverpool v Chelsea match and also the PSV v Milan match on it and it looked great. Sounds like you just had a bad unit.

I wasn't even connected using any decent cables and was watching it thru a normal aerial from NTL.

I would recommend the LG for the money, but if you have more money to spend then the Panny's seem to be a favourite on the forums.

5. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi maybe your correct perhaps it was a bad unit but for 1500 squid shouldnt be getting a bad unit, my lcd pic which is also a lg no rgb on it, abeit only 20in model blew the socks off the plasma which the pic was ok on everything else barring sports if you could put up with the solarisation.

6. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I don't think that price has anything to do with the chances of getting a good one or a bad one TBH. When you buy a car, there are some manufacturers that sell plenty of Friday afternoon cars which will be back and forth to the dealer for warranty work. You are paying a lot more than £1500 for them. It is just one of those things that is very annoying but you have little control over which one you get.

It is far easier tho to get a good PQ on a smaller screen.

Personally I have had no problems whatsoever with watching any sports or fast moving images on the LG PX11.

I have been nothing but impressed with the LG PQ.

7. LEEMJONES

LEEMJONES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I totally agree with Daipac, football and fast moving images are flawless. Granted I spent a good hour or so using Avia and DVE to get my settings correct.Once you get used to the contrast a lot lower than 100 (my factory default) I honestly say that it is amazing, especially when it is a Sky sports game!

8. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi flawless i dont believe yet to see any plasma with a pic to match a decent crt tv-like i said i prob got a bad panel-but how many others got bad panels too and are putting up with em.
    i know for a fact all plasmas suffer a bit when watching sports -read the posts on this panel.

9. LEEMJONES

LEEMJONES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I had a 32inch Sony CRT and the football is easy as good as that , the only difference is that on the plasma the colours are a lot brighter. Maybe the word 'flawless' is a bit OTT but I was expecting the worst when I first watched football on it and I am certainly not dissapointed with it.

10. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what firmware you using-plz.

11. LEEMJONES

LEEMJONES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  12. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi yer its firmware prob obviously the new panels are a lot better but i had old firmware which was naff.

13. LEEMJONES

LEEMJONES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    from reading the other threads that seems the case. It was the first thing I checked when I switched it on. I only thought that the f/w was at 5.16 so when I saw 5.18 I hoped I had a good one and as I said it seems I have.
    It does make you wonder though how come so many f/w revisions have been implemented in such a short space of time.
    Aslong as you get a new LG (not old stock) I think it will suit all but the most hardened AV enthusiast.