1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Help For A Newbie

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by philthyanimal, Nov 18, 2003.

1. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am seriously starting to think about purchasing a plasma screen, hopefully there may be a couple of bargains in the january sales.
    So a bit of advice please.
    Do i need a panel with a tuner box or would just a monitor be fine? i'll be watching sky or DVD.
    Should i buy a new DVD player with component out and progresive scan?
    How should i connect my sky+ box too it?

Any help welcome

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Unless you're going to go down the track of HTPC or the like, then go for a plasma TV, ie complete with tuner box. The latest ones such as Pioneer 434 are great. Without the tuner you'll need to invest in various bits of esoteric kit in order to connect your sources to the screen which all adds to the cost. In the past the superior performance of monitors as opposed to screens with tuners could justify the cost and complexity, but now I doubt it.

If you go the tuner box route, then conect Sky+ via RGB scart. You could hook up the DVD the same way which is almost as good as component, but if the screen will accept a progresive signal and has component input then this is the best connection, so an upgrade of your DVD would be worth it if funds allow.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I have to disagree utterly with all of that. If you have sky+ you've got 2 tv tuners already, what are you going to do with the 3rd one? Clutter up your remote control, that's what. Yes a prog scan DVD is a good idea. A PW6 with scart board would be plug and play for you, though the picture on scart is slightly soft. You can get a 15 pin sub-d to 3 phono cable for component video, and a decent scart for sky+, and be up and running immediately. No converters needed, though you might like to try a YUV converter if you have an AV amp that can switch this. But you didn't mention sound, do you have any at present? In the short term you could of course just connect your DVD to 2nd scart on sky+ and watch it like that. It might well be perfectly ok, well, until you see a good prog. scan player on component!
    btw no more 434's till feb, and they're a grand more than the panasonic for a tv tuner that'll be junk in 5 years time....Tony's sworn to switch off analogue and sell the frequencies for billions to prop up the NHS..

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    If you only watch TV via Sky then there really is no need to pay the extra cost in getting a plasma tuner.
    If you get a Panasonic series 6 plasma it can have a scart board fitted that will enable you to connect Sky and if you then get a component DVD player this can be connected to the VGA socket that can be set to receive component signal. By this route you will only need to buy cables, not any additional converters etc.
    Of course this screen would not have any speakers so these would have to be bought or you can feed the sound via an AV receiver etc if you have one. If buying the speakers then it may well be cheaper to go for the intergrated plasma TV.

Mark.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Shared innovation, Mark!

6. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses.
    I have speakers and an amp(kef 1005's and an ax3)so just a panel is what i want.
    any views on the panasonic TH37PW5B?
    Also, if i dont upgrade my DVD player will the picture be ok via s video? its a pioneer 464.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    S-video is pretty good, certainly it will ne OK, just not 'as good as it gets'. You could upgrade later. You could use it for sky+ as well, for single cable connection, but don't make that the only cable you bury in the wall if you are going that way, you will need more later.

8. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I've just been visiting my parents who were having the same dilema - so basically we out and purchased a plasma screen (Toshiba re: panny5), a panasonic dvd player (component to tv), a panasonic amp (composite - not good i know, but it works for sky) and a set of speakers for 3.4k from richer sounds. Ole ma and pa a are pleased as punch! - not a tuner box in sight.

9. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what toshiba was it?
    How does it look

10. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Toshiba 42WP27B - 852x480 - 3000:1

Looks exactly like a panny5, with exception of toshiba on the front. ;)

11. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry, i meant picture quality.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Just like the man says. The ONLY difference is the badge, all components are shared with the PW5