1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma - HDMI

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Gliese 581c, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I have the Panasonic 4 Series plasma and I'm led to believe that it doesnt have HDMI & no terminal board is available for it either with HDMI.

My next dvd player purchase will be the Denon A11 (cant wait), that has an HDMI out on it, what panasonic plasma has an HDMI output also ? Is there any ?

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Think the A11 is DVI. Don't know if the Panny 4 can take DVI - you would need to check that it is HDCP compatible if it can.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You can get a dvi board for the panny 4, but it can't accept Pal signals.

4. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Thanks...

Anyone know what plasma would accept the hdmi input from the A11 then ?

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I don't know if the a11 is HDCP compliant. If so, your choice is very limited, the Pioneer HDE series possibly, though not my 1st choice with such a thing. They have limited input resolution. If it's just DVI then an MXE pioneer would suit, 43 or 50. A great plasma, new model due June, buy a bargain now or wait for the latest.

6. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    MAW would it not work with the series-6 panasonic DVI card ?
    If so I think the current prices are a steal.

I ask as I am wondering if the DVI card for the Panasonic is any use for anything other than the iSCAN HD.

Steve.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    'fraid not guys. the panny DVI still has an issue with 576p. What have panasonic's hdcp team done this year? Don't know either.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello all

Panasonic DVI input cards:

Series 4 - TY-42TM4D (In stock).

Series 6 - TY-42TM6DB (In stock).

Only the Series 6 Board is HDCP compliant!

The boards are NOT interchangeable.

There is someone on the AVS Forums in the US who has mastered reprogramming the Series 4 board to accept input signals not in the manufacturers list - though that does not include HDCP signals. Stoo Monster may have details on this!

DVD-A11:
    This unit has a DVI out that has HDCP encryption so with a Series 4 Display you'd be better sticking to YUV.

I spoke with Panasonic UK tech support today and they have requested a DVD-A11 to test with the Series 6 boards (along with a Pioneer DV-868AVi).

Best regards

Joe

9. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    The boards are not interchangeable because of Pansonic's choice not to make them so; by making use of different edge connectors and different shape, but little else.

The Silicon Image DVI Receiver chip on series 6 board would work just as well on Series 4/5 plasma, they just don't want you to do that. Furthermore, it would be a fairly trivial technical effort for Panasonic to make DVI-HDCP boards for Series 4/5 plasmas or HDMI boards for series 4/5/6 plasmas; but commercially impossible because it would cannibalise sales of future plasma screens. Series 7 is not far from announcement.

The flash mod is for series 6 cards, to tell Plug-n-Play PCs about resolutions the card will accept. The EDID data on the series 6 card is actually from old series 4/5 card and therefore wrong; but is easily fixed. Scalers like the iScan HD or CenterStage are unaffected by this.

Furthermore, the PAL issue (even with series 6) is caused by a Silicon Image DVI-HDCP Receiver chip, but is addressed in later Silicon Image Receiver chips and may be fixed in Series 7 screens. Note use of word "may".

If I could find a souce for female edge connectors for series 6 boards and male edge connectors for series 4/5 plasma internal board, and the appropriate ribbon cable to link them, it could be possible to make series 6 DVI card work in series 4/5 plasma.

StooMonster

10. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Thanks joe/stoomonster.....I'll put off any thoughts/plans until I see the spec of the series 7 plasma then. Fingers crossed that panasonic put the hdmi connector on their list of connectivity priorities

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    aRCam, remember again, it's just a software issue, they could fix it now if they put their minds to it, it's just not on their list of priorities. Stoo, do we take it you know how to make the 6 series accept PAL, and what about 572 from a iscan ultra?

12. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    MAW, if its a software issue, show me where the hdmi connector is on the plasma or terminal board......there isnt one as far as i can see.

13. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    HMDI/DVI same thing as long as they are both HDCP, I think thats what MAW is getting at, its the software in the DVI board thats the problem not the fact that it isn't a HDMI connector.

Ryan

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You have to buy a terminal board with the DVI socket, Joe has them. The issue is that the software on these boards is not pal video compatible, You can buy a lead, from Joe, that has an HDMI plug on one end and a DVI plug on the other. In fact there's one in a box in my office. You stick the relevant plug in the relevant orifice, and apart from the software, that would be that. It will be with region 1 DVD's, cos the board accepts 480p NTSC signals.

Shared innovation, Ryan. You type quicker than me obviously.

15. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I keep wondering why people still buy Panasonic plasmas. OK, they are quite good picturewise but they have been pi**ing off the European customers for some time now. They don't offer HDMI, no functioning DVI, no PAL progressive on their DVD players....

They just don't care. And this was a main reason why I decided for the PIONEER where the people have a very different attitude.

16. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Thanks for the explaination guys....I got you now :)

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Joys, I see Pioneer's attitude is actually truly opposite Panasonic's. You have trouble connecting a PC to your plasma, it only accepts non-native resolutions. I hate the pioneer HDMI implementation. Each to their own. The panasonic one was done for the PHD series, and there it works well for the design criteria. It was never intended for home entertainment. Your plasma is designed solely for that, and has problems with 'commercial' use, like a HCPC