Plasma half life?

D

docspencer

I'm considering the jump to a plasma HD widescream, but my wife isn't convinced they last very long.

Can someone give me some ammunition to convince her? thanks

Afternoon

Manufacturers are now quoting different figures but I think its pretty safe to quote 30,000 hours life for a plasma. Some manufacturers are starting to quote bigger numbers than these. Working on an average viewing per day you will find the screen will last a fair few years unless of course it is running 24/7.

Regards

Alastair:hiya:

docspencer said:
I'm considering the jump to a plasma HD widescream, but my wife isn't convinced they last very long.

Can someone give me some ammunition to convince her? thanks

Panasonic quote 60,000 hours till half brightness is reached. Enough for anyone I reckon.

The planet will have run out of oil by the time your TV gets that dim it's unwatchable !

The pictures on earlier plasma sets definately look a bit flat after a few thousand hours, but things have progressed considerably since then. What worries me more is the LCD backlight scenario. After all, how long does a typical striplight last before its starts to flicker or go dim. Cant see one of those lasting "tens of years" myself.

Given the rate of progression of screen technology at the moment and their relentless dropping in price I would imagine that you will probably be wanting to upgrade your television again long before any new one you buy now wears out.

Hello docspencer

As others have said the supposed short lifespan of Plasma Displays is an urban myth - along with annual re-gassing of the pixel array!!!

Half brightness on a modern sixth/seventh or eighth generation Display (depending on which manufacturer your looking at) is usually brighter than full brightness on a 'new' Display back in the early days of first and second generation displays.

The display doesn't stop working at 60,000 hours it simply produces less light output - though still more than enough to view a 'TV' picture; that's assuming you still have the Display in 20 years time.

In the longer term the cost of replacing a major component once the Display is out-with the manufacturers warranty period is much more of a worry for most - though you can take out extended warranties to minimise the associated risk/cost.

Joe

PS If you ever had the misfortune of visiting folks houses who hang on to HiFi and TV gear until its well past its sell by date you'd be amazed at what some folk sit in front of on a nightly basis viewing 1970/80's CRT TVs that can only just produce a colour picture.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom